AMA 4-stroke weight limits

5 replies to this topic
  • DaveJ

Posted January 02, 2002 - 11:38 AM

I've recently read some issues about the new ruling on four stokes meeting a new weight limit for AMA events.

The author claimed that this year some of the top 250F bikes will have to add weight.

Of course, there's the debate on what this could do in regards to development issues and long term effects on the application of 4-strokes.

Anybody have any positive positions on this?

• Merfman

Posted January 02, 2002 - 01:16 PM

What I'd read was that they'd dropped the weight issue WRT to the 4-strokes. They (AMA) instead decided to make the 4strokes adhere to current sound levels.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 04, 2002 - 10:42 PM

DaveJ, there is a recent article in one of the Bike mags that addresses this very issue. (one of the few good articles). It seems the AMA is confused on whether or not to let bike manufacturers keep up the current trend to find ways of more HP & less weight for 4strokes. We all hear that 2strokes may be discontinued by 2004/2005, maybe,maybe not. If Honda can get the 2002 CR250 at around 218lbs, why can't the same be true for 4strokes. I believe it is the AMA's way of either knowing that 2strokes are going away or that 4strokes need their own class all together. I believe Ferry's bike was safe at the majic 226lb limit that the AMA has for 4strokes so he is not affected, but it is true that 250f's will have to have weight added. I think the AMA needs to revisit this issue to allow uso have 60-70HP 4strokes that weigh about 225lbs, can you imagine?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Amador

Posted January 04, 2002 - 01:07 PM

The AMA has back peddled on the weight restrictions. Four strokes will not have a different weight limitation. They realized that all that would do is counter act what the original four stroke rule was supposed to do in the first place- encourage four stroke developement!

• mxracer553

Posted January 04, 2002 - 02:34 PM

I read that the 426s and the 450 would have to meet the 500cc weight limit and the 250s would have to meet the 250class weight limits. and to race in the 250class they would have to be no larger than 450cc.
Kylee Wylee

• John_H

Posted January 04, 2002 - 03:56 PM

I'm not a MX'er at all and I ride a WR426 (pretty heavy). I know out in the desert the extra weight adds some stability at high speeds. Just wondering if there is a certain point on an MX track where too little weight is a disadvantage???

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.