Valve Shim Question

2 replies to this topic
  • bbeakley

Posted December 28, 2001 - 11:40 AM

Well, I finally got brave enough to take her apart and look at the valve clearances. It really wasn't that hard except the engine mounting bracket bolts were pretty snug. Musta had one of those Sumo wrestlers tighten it.

Anyhoo, I found that the intake clearances were right in the middle of spec but the exhausts were on the lower spec limit or slightly below (~0.24-0.25). So I've ordered replacements, but I was wondering if the exhaust shims and the intake shims use the same type of shim? If so, I'll hang onto the ones I'm replacing on the exhaust side in case they'd fit on the intake side later (I didn't pull the intake cam off cuz I don't need to now). If they won't fit, I guess I'll hang onto them in case they'll work in my 2003 electric start YZ450F (please please please!!)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ400Court

Posted December 28, 2001 - 12:16 PM

Yep they are the same. There are only 3 or 4 different styles used by all the jap bike companies.

• jamracing

Posted December 28, 2001 - 12:17 PM

Yup, the shims are the same diameter on the intake and exhaust. However, I have found that some dealers will swap out the shims at no charge, so you shouldn't really worry about hanging on to the old ones. Going one shim thinner should give you plenty of clearance.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.