13t Sprocket Anyone

8 replies to this topic
  • Russ_P

Posted April 29, 2001 - 03:49 AM

In an attempt to modify my gearing for tighter trails and to take advantage of YZ timing and an open airbox I bought a 13t countershaft sprocket. It's a third the price of a rear sprocket and would give pretty close to a 14/50 gearing. The problem is it looks small and I am afraid the chain may rub too hard on the upper side of the swing arm protector :). Is anyone using this setup (13/50)? Has there been any problems with what I've described?

Russ

------------------
'00 WR 400
UNCORKED, YZ TIMED
SNORKEL & LID REMOVED
STOP TRIMMED

[This message has been edited by Russ P (edited 04-29-2001).]

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 29, 2001 - 04:13 AM

ZERO problems w/ my 13 tooth countershaft.

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, de-octopused, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean and Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

• kmcbride

Posted April 29, 2001 - 07:12 AM

No problems with 13/50. Check under chain guide, sometimes there is weld that pushes up on guide causing premature wear. Just grind it down flat (credit to Clark M). Hardly ever use first gear unless in real tight stuff.

• Russ_P

Posted April 29, 2001 - 04:49 PM

Thanks guys. Did you have to take a link out of the chain? What about stock chain length with a 14/52 setup? Do you have to add a link with that setup?

Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ P (edited 04-30-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kmcbride

Posted April 29, 2001 - 06:58 PM

Hey Russ,
I did pull a link with 13/50 to keep wheelbase as short as possible to help in the tight stuff. Only problem is switching back to 14 counter sprocket for wide open runs. I can only manage this when also changing rear to 49 with same chain. I have found that I usually just stick with the 13/50 for 90% of my races (east coast tight woods), but be prepared for loss of top end speed.
Keith

• PMAUST

Posted April 29, 2001 - 07:40 PM

I have also been using the 13/50 setup and really like it. You do loose some top end but you get to it a lot quicker. Haven't had any problems yet.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 30, 2001 - 03:30 AM

I went to 14/52. A similar change. I ride in NH and find it to be perfect in the woods. It also shortens your wheelbase a little. You don't have to add a link or anything.

• Pistol_Pete

Posted April 30, 2001 - 03:36 AM

I switched to that gear setup because I kept stalling out in tight trails (Upstate NY woods) and it solved my problems. Unfortunately I lost a bunch of top end but when do I ever have the opportunity to open her up.

• mcarp

Posted May 01, 2001 - 04:58 PM

I'll second kmcbride's remarks about shortening the chain when using 13/50. This combined with raising the forks in the triple clamps about 5-7mm will really help the bike turn. Tigher wheelbase. Less trail. And good tires make the bike turn waaay better.

The only other thing I can think of is to replace the front sprocket twice as often (before it's worn out). This way you avoid excessive chain wear/stretch and rear sprocket wear thus replacement intervals for those are less.

I originally was 13/50, then switched to 14/52. Going to switch to 13/49 (Ohio, woods, some MX) next

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.