• Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • RSS Feed
  • Google+

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone remember these places near Oscoda, Mi.

• Please sign in to reply

15 replies to this topic
  • motoscotty

TT Bronze Member

338 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 11:20 PM

The track at the bombing range
The MX track on the Air Base
Bultaco Hill
7 mile hill

These are all place I rode growing up when I lived on the Base
Wurtsmith Air Force Base

• racerx_217

TT Platinum Member

1,627 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Grew up riding the same area but all those places were gone by the time i was old enough. Rode bultaco and 7 mile hill thought. You ever ride at the abandoned quarry in Greenbush?

Edited by racerx_217, December 14, 2013 - 07:39 PM.

• 2TrakR

TT Gold Member

1,044 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 04:40 AM

One of our Dual Sport routes passes Bultaco Hill. The old guys in the Club like to stop at the fences and reminisce about the good old days.

• motoscotty

TT Bronze Member

338 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Grew up riding the same area but all those places were gone by the time i was old enough. Rode bultaco and 7 mile hill thought. You ever ride at the abandoned quarry in Greenbush?

Yes I did.
I grew up in Oscoda and rode all those place summer and winter

• adam728

Get Help Now

5,331 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Grew up there, just this summer the last family there moved away. I've ridden all those places. You can still somewhat follow the old track behind base, if I am thinking the same one (not the little loop that's a sandy shooting range right at the end of the runway, but further behind base, all overgrown now, some in an opening and much through the woods).

The old bombing range track is interesting on snowmobile, loys of good sized trees in the middle of corners and whoop sections.

I grew up at the top of 7 mile hill, top of the sand hill next to foote dam.

• motoscotty

TT Bronze Member

338 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Grew up there, just this summer the last family there moved away. I've ridden all those places. You can still somewhat follow the old track behind base, if I am thinking the same one (not the little loop that's a sandy shooting range right at the end of the runway, but further behind base, all overgrown now, some in an opening and much through the woods). The old bombing range track is interesting on snowmobile, loys of good sized trees in the middle of corners and whoop sections.I grew up at the top of 7 mile hill, top of the sand hill next to foote dam.

Nice,
I grew up off of River Rd across from Aldersgate apts and rode all over the woods and the trails that follow the AuSable.
The power lines, those were the days!!
7 mile was a blast,
That's crazy you can still ride the track on the base!!

• jonha

TT Member

77 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:13 AM

Yup, I was stationed at WAFB from 1983 to 1991. Good times. Stil live in Michigan, but only go to Oscoda with the road bike.

• motoscotty

TT Bronze Member

338 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Yup, I was stationed at WAFB from 1983 to 1991. Good times. Stil live in Michigan, but only go to Oscoda with the road bike.

So you were there in Oct 88 when then plane crashed.
That was crazy

I need to go back for a visit

• ride_red

TT Gold Member

1,493 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 06:21 PM

pl.jpg

Damn.jpg

• FordBlueHeart

TT Bronze Member

268 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 03:09 PM

I have some service accounts right on the base as well as some other local businesses. I try to drive a different way every time. Anyone remember Melvin's Motorcycle Museum? It closed this past year due to embezzlement.

• adam728

Get Help Now

5,331 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have some service accounts right on the base as well as some other local businesses. I try to drive a different way every time. Anyone remember Melvin's Motorcycle Museum? It closed this past year due to embezzlement.

That's too bad, I made several visits there when in town. Wasn't open all that long really.

I remember the plan crash too. I was only 7, but recall driving by and seeing the wreckage.

• floydclymer

TT Newbie

8 posts

Posted August 03, 2014 - 11:45 AM

I live right by bultaco. Was at the bomb range earlier today. Still looking for a brass casing.

• Ron Hamp
5,256 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 01:54 PM

I raced @ the airforce base I was there week end when they dug the pit for a jump but somebody crashed hard and tey routed around itthat straight along the runway with the little jumps was fun I rode a 75 ktm 250.

• yellow_busa

TT Newbie

21 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 09:36 AM

My Dad lives just off the base on F41 near the pine river. My 12 yr. old. son and I were riding there this last weekend. It was his first time on a dirt bike. We went to the ORV trails right across from the Damn Store but it was really flat ground and a little boring. Are these places that you are talking about still available to the public to rid on?

• randallz

TT Member

56 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 05:13 AM

Does anybody have GPS coordinates for Bultaco or 7mile?  I'm from Bay City and my parents have talked about these places in the past.  We'll be camping in Tawas this weekend and I think it would be cool to take a Jeep ride out with everyone and look at the old riding areas.  I'm sure my Dad's memory would be jogged and the stories would follow.

• 2TrakR

TT Gold Member

1,044 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 12:03 PM

This should be it:

https://www.google.c...2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

North of Oscoda on 23 to Mikado Road, west on Mikado to Cruzen, South on Cruzen to Vandercook (snowmobile trail head on this road). Follow snowmobile trail until it crosses the power line. That should be it to the south on the power line, unless I'm confusing my locations (busy day).

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Michigan

UP bug conditions by carl johansson

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Michigan

battle creek hs by redwheeliemonster

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  44 replies
Forums
Photo
Michigan

Lost glasses @ Redbud! by J_YZ2fittyF

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Michigan

silver lake people...can I make a spark arrestor for my stock muffler and pass inspection? by byz250F

• 7 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.