Bought a SM 03 wr450... Need advice

7 replies to this topic
  • lawmaster891

Posted December 12, 2013 - 11:18 PM

I picked up an 03 supermoto wr450 today and need some help. The bike has been lowered and I was wondering if someone could help me out with some options on putting it back to stock height or options for fork upgrades and selling the lowered suspension. Why would someone lower a supermoto? I will upload a few pics

• lawmaster891

Posted December 12, 2013 - 11:22 PM

Pics added

Attached Thumbnails

• 1386919295654.jpg
  • 1386919317406.jpg
  • 1386919330368.jpg
  • 1386919346981.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 13, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Can't tell  from your pics. (no pic of the linkage or shock).

It probably just has a lowering link in the rear, which you replace with the stock link.

The forks do not look modified, or moved in the clamps.

It must handle pretty badly as it is....

• stevethe

Posted December 13, 2013 - 07:14 AM

I lower mine for an inch shorter travel front and rear. It lowers the center of gravity and remember these bikes started as off road bikes. Also 17" wheels lower the bike as well.

From the picture the bike does not appear to be drastically lowered. if it is more than an inch you could drag foot pegs and such.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lawmaster891

Posted December 13, 2013 - 08:29 AM

The linkage is all stock. The guy I bought the bike from said it was lowered internally. Measuring the length of the forks compared to my 01 yz there is a 2 inch difference. The bike is much lower than my friends 06 wr450 supermoto

• lawmaster891

Posted December 13, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Ill upload some more pics later for a better view

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 13, 2013 - 02:53 PM

"Internally" implies the shock and fork were modified for less travel, which is the only smart way to lower the bike.

You will have to reverse that.

• stevethe

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:41 AM

The linkage is all stock. The guy I bought the bike from said it was lowered internally. Measuring the length of the forks compared to my 01 yz there is a 2 inch difference. The bike is much lower than my friends 06 wr450 supermoto

Since you already have it lowered and your friends is stock it gives you the perfect ability to try both. Two inches is more than I would go but some people would do it. It might work as long as your not dragging the pegs.

I don't think the travel is too little for the street. I don't use all my travel on the street.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.