What is my 2012 roller worth?

11 replies to this topic
  • duggram

Posted December 12, 2013 - 06:51 AM

I want to take the motor and relative electrical components out of my 2012 WR450, which BTW is street licensed in New Mexico.  What can I get for the very low mileage roller?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 12, 2013 - 07:10 AM

$2k

Posted December 12, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Just curious, what happened to the motor?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 13, 2013 - 02:17 AM

Just thinking out loud... I wonder what 2T engine you could put in that chassis to make a killer woods or desert bike ? KDX220 ? <- not enough power. WR250 2T <- too peaky ? KDX250 - I loved that engine ! IT 465 ? IT490 ? KDX 400 ?

Thinking rationally, the WR450F engine is better than most of these. It would be nice to have something lighter though. I haven't ridden a 80s/90s 2T since back then. I wonder how they would feel now after having ridden the WR450F ?

Posted December 13, 2013 - 05:47 AM

The yz250 strk motor is a great motor. What about putting a yz450 motor in it.

• duggram

Posted December 13, 2013 - 07:17 AM

The motor is going into a Framecrafters road racing chassis.  It's the only way I know of to get this done.  A lot of folks use the stock dirt bike chassis but for a road racing application they don't have the optimum geometry.  BTW I like that idea of putting a smaller motor in it.  On dirt the 450 is more power than I want.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 13, 2013 - 10:41 AM

BTW I like that idea of putting a smaller motor in it.  On dirt the 450 is more power than I want.

What ? I never find my 450F overpowering because it is so controllable. Its a big pussycat that almost never bites.

• Tanis

Posted December 14, 2013 - 12:46 AM

There may be a cheaper option, look for written off and stollen auctions source an engine this way, even if its just to put back in the frame whats a 2012 worth over there 4 to 5k? Should be able to get one for way under 2k with crash damage!

• duggram

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:34 AM

What ? I never find my 450F overpowering because it is so controllable. Its a big pussycat that almost never bites.

You're joking right?  We're completely different people.  I'm 63 with back and leg injuries that cause a lot of pain when I start bumping around on my dirt bike.  Now I don't have any problems at all riding my 140+ hp Buell road racer, but I have a hell of a time wheeling it around in the pits, loading, etc.  It's not the power.  I definitely like the smaller motor idea.  Then I can still get off road and putt around.

• duggram

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:36 AM

There may be a cheaper option, look for written off and stollen auctions source an engine this way, even if its just to put back in the frame whats a 2012 worth over there 4 to 5k? Should be able to get one for way under 2k with crash damage!

I've never looked into this.  Great idea.  I really don't like the idea of not having a dirt bike, and I haven't checked out auctions before.  Now that I think about it I know an independent bike shop here that could help me.  Thanks for the idea.  I should have been more creative.

• beezer

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:05 AM

You're joking right?  We're completely different people.  I'm 63 with back and leg injuries that cause a lot of pain when I start bumping around on my dirt bike.  Now I don't have any problems at all riding my 140+ hp Buell road racer, but I have a hell of a time wheeling it around in the pits, loading, etc.  It's not the power.  I definitely like the smaller motor idea.  Then I can still get off road and putt around.

Maybe he didn't know you were handicapped?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:29 AM

An XR200R would be perfect for you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.