1999 YZ 400 milky oil

6 replies to this topic
  • possum_04

Posted December 11, 2013 - 05:42 AM

So i bought this dirtbike a few months ago. The first thing I did was change the oil, flush radiator, etc. The oil looked good when i drained it but went ahead and replace it anyways. So Ive put about 5-6 hours on the bike with no mechanical problems at all. I went to change the oil again last night and it was a little milky looking. Kind of concerned and dont know what to do. I am not losing coolant other than if I fill it to the top and run the bike it drops down about a half inch and then stays at that level consistently. I did get stuck bad in the mud a month ago and had to lay my bike over pull, lay it over pull, and eventually had to be towed out. Im not sure why I would have water in my oil if Im not losing coolant. Should I be concerned or not? What should I look for? Any help would be much appreciated.

• possum_04

Posted December 11, 2013 - 06:39 AM

O another thing. I seem to be losing oil somehow. I will check the oil level before each ride and I will have to add oil to make it correct. This is each time I go riding...?

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2013 - 07:39 AM

If you tried to start the bike in the mud/water hole, it could have drawn water up through the breather hose. 

There are only three ways to loose oil:

• Leaks
  • Past the rings
  • Past the valve guide seals

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • possum_04

Posted December 11, 2013 - 07:52 AM

Well it was just mud not any water that I knew of so I dont see how it would have sucked water from the mud. If i was leaking oil from rings or valve guide seals is there any physical signs other than oil level?

And yes i stated it several times in the mud trying to get it out.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Well it was just mud not any water that I knew of so I dont see how it would have sucked water from the mud. If i was leaking oil from rings or valve guide seals is there any physical signs other than oil level?

Valve guide seals can produce a single puff of smoke on startup, or as you get back on the gas after decelerating.  Rings cause smoke under a load.  Bear in mind that no smoke may be visible at all and still use oil.  It only takes .0005 cc of oil in the combustion chamber with each power stroke to burn 100cc an hour on average.

• possum_04

Posted December 11, 2013 - 02:41 PM

ok can we get back to the milky oil tho...Should i be concerned or not? Should I run it a bit then redrain and see if its milky again?

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2013 - 04:23 PM

Yes, if there's no sign of coolant loss.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.