2005 WR450 oil capacity

10 replies to this topic
  • eRRmmm

Posted December 10, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Firstly yes I've read the manual and know the manual says 1.1L with filter, which is what I have been doing.

The FAQ in the WR/YZ 250 forum states this:

http://www.thumperta...efore-you-post/

3) 01-02 owners should check the oil AFTER it has been started and the engine warmed up. then wait a few seconds. the manual clearly goes over the correct procedure for this. 01-02 bikes can hold 1.6L of oil with a filter change. the 03 holds 1.1L with filter change (but 03-05 can hold just as much as 01). the 06 holds 1.25L with a filter change. the 07 holds 1.15L with filter change

I vaguely recall reading a post about this somewhere but can't find it now - is this is also true for a 2005 WR450?

If so is there any reason I shouldn't add that extra half litre for general trail riding (open desert tracks mostly)?  It would seem it should give longer oil life, so I could extend oil change intervals for multi-day trail rides, or maintain better quality oil for normal weekend riding with normal oil change intervals.  I buy Yamalube synthetic from a bulk drum at dealer cost so I'm ok with the increased service cost.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 10, 2013 - 05:02 PM

Use the recommended volume of oil, or you risk blowing seals.

• eRRmmm

Posted December 10, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Being a dry sump wouldn't the oil pump still only pressurize the oil system the same no matter how much oil is in the tank/cases? So if overfilled wouldn't it just push the oil into the oil tank then eventually blow the excess oil out the breather?  Not trying to be a smart arse at all, just wanting to understand it.

I've since realised that overfilling it would mean no way to check the oil as it would run out the dipstick hole.  Running on blind faith that the bike has oil on a multi-day ride wouldn't sit well with me.  The early WR's had the dipstick up on top of the frame, would this have anything to do with why they can hold more oil?

• Ktmkid305

Posted December 10, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Too much oil and its gonna smoke like a joke...you Should put the actual desired amount in it or ekse youll get some white smoke

• William1

Posted December 10, 2013 - 05:43 PM

Fill with the correct amount.

Think about yourself. You can eat a one pound burger, that is it. Should you force in a two pounder because you are going to miss dinner?

Get the service manual for your bike. It can be downloaded from Yamaha at no charge.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 10, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Think about yourself. You can eat a one pound burger, that is it. Should you force in a two pounder because you are going to miss dinner?

Get the service manual for your bike. It can be downloaded from Yamaha at no charge.

Yes. Duh.

• eRRmmm

Posted December 10, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Not sure that analogy accurately describes this situation.

I have a service manual, both printed and pdf, and I am currently using the correct amount of oil as I stated in the op. 

I want to do some longer rides on my WR which is why I'm thinking about extra oil.  It's easy enough to carry a couple of litre bottles of oil so I'll just change it in the field, but getting a couple hundred more kms out of a change would be nice.

I'd heard about folks putting additional oil in steel framed 450's without problem, which is why I asked.  I thought I'd read it here, but it might have been at ADVRider.

• eRRmmm

Posted December 10, 2013 - 07:31 PM

This is possibly the post I was thinking of http://www.thumperta...f/#entry9543460

Quoting greyracer513 from that thread:

On the steel framed bikes, there is actually the physical space for nearly 2L of oil in the tank as it stands before any additional is forced back to the cam box out the pressure balance hose. Obviously, you'd be quite surprised by this were you to remove the dipstick on a 450, but there is room for it.

• William1

Posted December 11, 2013 - 04:44 AM

Even though the tank might hold more, when at rest, the oil often back flows into the crankcase. On start (assuming the oil allows you to) would be blown out the cam case breater very quickly.

If you want to add extra oli because your bike is consuming it, repair the problem. A healthy bike will consume less than 1 liter in 1,000 miles (my bikes consume 0). As long as there is some oil in the oil tank, the engine is not being starved (just what little is there is getting heavily used).

A oil change using quality oil in a healthy engine should be good for 10 hours run time, often when the oil is lossing it, it can be felt by notchier shifting.

• Parx_400

Posted December 11, 2013 - 06:14 AM

The only options for adding more oil are an oil cooler or a rally skid plate with an external oil tank. Someone in Australia makes a skid plate. It's not cheap and not plug and play.

• eRRmmm

Posted December 11, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Even though the tank might hold more, when at rest, the oil often back flows into the crankcase. On start (assuming the oil allows you to) would be blown out the cam case breater very quickly.

If you want to add extra oli because your bike is consuming it, repair the problem. A healthy bike will consume less than 1 liter in 1,000 miles (my bikes consume 0). As long as there is some oil in the oil tank, the engine is not being starved (just what little is there is getting heavily used).

A oil change using quality oil in a healthy engine should be good for 10 hours run time, often when the oil is lossing it, it can be felt by notchier shifting.

My bike doesn't use oil.  I'm just talking about extending the oil change intervals for longer rides out bush.  

The only options for adding more oil are an oil cooler or a rally skid plate with an external oil tank. Someone in Australia makes a skid plate. It's not cheap and not plug and play.

IMO oil coolers are not worth the trouble for the small amount of oil gained.  Heat isn't an issue in my case, just normal oil contamination.

B&B Offroad made oil tank bash plates for the alloy framed bikes for an Australian rally

https://www.facebook...52799273&type=1

They aren't listed on their website, I understand they were a special job.  I also heard one of them split and left a trail of oil across the carpark in one section of the rally - would have been nasty if that had happened in the bush and it wasn't noticed... this is why I'd rather avoid external oil tanks if possible.

I'll just carry a couple of litres in my backpack, it seems the easiest.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.