Ice riding / racing questions

3 replies to this topic
  • tawood385

Posted December 28, 2001 - 04:53 AM

Hi all,
The cold weather is finally here for awhile in Michigan and the lakes are starting to freeze over....but there is not enough snow to get out the snowmobile. So, I'm thinking of studding the tires on my 426.
Years ago, I studded the tires on a Honda XR600 and had a blast out on the lake, but I don't remember how to do it. Can anyone tell me the best stud length and stud pattern for this bike? I'm going to use the stock Dunlops just because I need new tires anyway and I'm not going to race (at least not seriously). A posted picture of a studded tire would be great!

Thanks,
Tim

• elroyona426

Posted December 28, 2001 - 05:20 AM

Good question, I'm in the same boat although I've never tried ice riding before. I'm having major moto withdrawls though :) so I can't wait to get back out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Husker_Mike

Posted December 28, 2001 - 07:17 AM

I always used to use Kold Kutter studs, but I forget the size. Anyways, I'd charge up the cordless drill and stud up a set of Dunlop 490/695s which worked good for my then CR125...

I just looked in Cycle News and Kold Kutter's number is 800/369-0001 and they have stud lengths in 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1", and 1 1/2". More than likely they should be able to help you with a good set up for your bike, or at least point you in a good general direction.

I miss ice racing. The traction is freaking incredible and consistent every lap.

• petrus

Posted December 28, 2001 - 08:01 AM

hi!!
go and get your stud tires from your local dealer.fixing you own tires wont work that well.
i use trelleborg tires here in sweden but i have tested michelin and dunlop tires too,they work fine.today (28/12-01) we have about 40cm of snow and -10 degrees celsius.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.