2009 Engine Maintenance

49 replies to this topic
  • savagex

Posted April 22, 2014 - 09:38 PM

It can definitely be hot and I live near the coast.

• NitrousR1

Posted April 23, 2014 - 02:52 AM

Usually with proper jetting you will be ok with 91 pump gas.

• savagex

Posted April 27, 2014 - 10:26 PM

What do you guys think about this method of cleaning the valves?

Is it safe to do on the YZs Titanium valves?

• NitrousR1

Posted April 28, 2014 - 02:46 AM

Yes you can use a drill like that. Just chuck the stem very lightly and stay away from the valve sealing face because of the wear coating.
Also a wire brush would work staying away from the face. You can also use a bench grinder, but be careful with that.

• savagex

Posted April 30, 2014 - 11:01 PM

Yes you can use a drill like that. Just chuck the stem very lightly and stay away from the valve sealing face because of the wear coating.
Also a wire brush would work staying away from the face. You can also use a bench grinder, but be careful with that.

Isnt the point to clean the valve sealing face? Just curious how I get it clean but stay away from it?

Attached Thumbnails

• valve01.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • savagex

Posted May 03, 2014 - 10:25 AM

I checked the gap on my JE Rings. The gap on the thicker middle ring is only 0.005in, Is this OK or should I file it to increase the gap?

According to the manual the standard ring end gap is (0.014 - 0.020in) with a limit of 0.033in

The manual didnt list a minimum limit so I am not sure if a tighter fit closer to 0.0 would be ideal.

What is your opinion?

• NitrousR1

Posted May 04, 2014 - 05:07 AM

Those je rings are file to fit so they usually come pretty tight and you file to the appropriate ring end gap. performance engines run .004" per inch of bore. With a 95mm bore that is .015" end gap.
File the ring with a piece of sand paper until you get .015 end gap. Then file the outer edge so it isn't sharp and can't gouge the bore.
As far as cleaning valves you want to clean the carbon off but the valve face has a wear coating on it. The most you can do to the valve face is clean it with a scotch brite pad. Just stop right after the carbon comes off. If this coating is worn through then the valves will wear prematurely.

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:14 AM

The manual does list a minimum; .014".

File the gap open as suggested. You'll be fine.

• savagex

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thanks guys, I implemented your feedback on the rings and valves.

I thought i would be rapping this project up this weekend but got stopped because I didnt have a Flywheel puller to get to the cam chain! Learning something new with every step.

• savagex

Posted June 02, 2014 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for all your help on this project. I have ridden the bike twice now and nothing has blown up!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.