2013/2014 XT250 Special Tools Questions

5 replies to this topic
  • PhotoRuss

Posted December 08, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yamaha lists a variety of special tools in their 2013 shop manual for the XT250. Having a long history with motorcycles, including a short spell where I worked in the parts department of a Honda shop a million years ago, I know that some special tools are completely unnecessary. I also know that some may be entirely necessary while others make may make a job easier than doing it without them.

I've recently purchased a 2014 XT250 (unchanged from 2013, I believe) and may wish to do some of the maintenance work myself. I'm rapidly approaching 600 miles on the odometer, the point of the first recommended servicing. For me, I expect the oil and filter change to be no sweat, but I'm a little concerned about having the necessary tools for adjusting the tappets. Yamaha lists a 6 piece tappet set YM-A5970 in the shop manual. tappet tool set.jpg My first question is if this is one of the necessary special tools, helpful special tools, or unnecessary special tools?

Next, for setting the idle speed a tachometer would seem to allow for something more accurate than me doing it by ear. The one listed in the shop manual turns out to be for a Oppama Pet-1100 Pulse Engine Tachometer which sells for about $130. OPPAMA PET-1100 Tach.jpg  A nice thing about the Oppama is that it is a pulse tachometer and you only need to bring it near the engine and don't even need to clamp it onto anything. I know there are other pulse tachometers available and at $130 the Oppama is a too pricey for me. There are also clamp on tachs which need to be clamped over the spark plug wire. One such is the Easy-Tach 325. easy_tach_325.jpg  Honestly, I'm not sure there is enough space to get this clamp-on tach over the spark plug wire of my XT250. What are you using?

Does anyone have any other suggestions about special tools needed for servicing a2013 or 2014 XT250?

Thanks much!

• motovita

Posted December 08, 2013 - 03:23 PM

The tappet adj tools make the job quicker and easier. You can do without them if you just have one bike and don't put tons of miles on it.
Idle speed is more critical on fuel injected bikes than carbed models. Soon all bikes will be injected. So if your young and plan to go through several more bikes then a tach is probably a good investment. I have a small, cheap one that just has a small wire that you wrap 4 times around the plug wire. Some bikes have "stick coils" and no high tension plug wire, so I probably will upgrade soon.

• pd350

Posted December 08, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Here's a couple of tachometer options :

http://www.harborfre...eter-66400.html

http://www.harborfre...-kit-95670.html

• PhotoRuss

Posted December 11, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Have you used either of these? It appears that the first one requires holding one of the attachments in contact with "the rotating shaft". I take that to mean you'd have to hold it in contact with the end of the crankshaft or whatever it is that's exposed when the crankshaft end cover is removed. It seems this takes a mechanical reading. If this is the case I'm not wild about the idea. It might be possible for the attachment to break and pieces fall inside the engine casing.

The second tach appears not to work with engines of less than three cylinders.

• pd350

Posted December 11, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Have you used either of these? It appears that the first one requires holding one of the attachments in contact with "the rotating shaft". I take that to mean you'd have to hold it in contact with the end of the crankshaft or whatever it is that's exposed when the crankshaft end cover is removed. It seems this takes a mechanical reading. If this is the   case I'm not wild about the idea. It might be possible for the attachment to break and pieces fall inside the engine casing.

The second tach appears not to work with engines of less than three cylinders.

I have not used either of those . I was simply trying to help . I did a quick search and those popped up .

I tune by ear . I tried a timing light once . I didn't care for that either .

• PhotoRuss

Posted December 11, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I have not used either of those . I was simply trying to help . I did a quick search and those popped up .

I tune by ear . I tried a timing light once . I didn't care for that either .

Well, I appreciate that you took the trouble of finding those links on my behalf.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.