Dual Sport Kit

23 replies to this topic
  • BerkshireBullet

Posted January 04, 2004 - 03:46 PM

I have a WR450F and i am searching for a good dual sport kit...does anyone know of a kit that includes directionals, horn, hi/low beam light, brake light, and a mirror? i am more concerned with weight and looks rather than price. thanks

• steveracer

Posted January 04, 2004 - 04:04 PM

i just installed an electrex kit on my bike, and it is very nice kit. mirrors are not included in any kits i have seen. www.electrexusa.com

• chicken

Posted January 04, 2004 - 04:17 PM

I just installed a Baja Designs kit on my '03 WR250. The parts are all excellent quality and the installation was easy. I would recommend Baja Designs for anyone making the conversion. The only thing missing was a mirror, of course they sell that too.

• 5spoke

Posted January 04, 2004 - 05:47 PM

I didn't like any of the available kits out there, so I'm in the process of building my own. Just made a custom license plate/turn signal bracket out of tread plate. It mounts onto the three existing tail-light bolts under the rear fender. The turn signals are also mounted to this bracket, thus no extra holes are drilled or cut into bike. This bracket is really strong and lightweight and looks better than anything I've seen. I'm making a few of them for my buddies and plan on making some extra in case someone wants to buy one.

The lighting control switch arrived on Sat. and I'm waiting for the other parts, which should arrive this week.

I'll post some pic's soon. :)

• tp3dxf

Posted January 04, 2004 - 07:00 PM

I have been happy with my last two Baja Designs Kits. One was mounted on a XR600. The other on my WR426. It's a good kit. A little pricey. If you look around you can sometimes get a deal on a good used kit.

The real question is are you going to try to register it in Cal? That might be a tough one if you are because of the red sticker.

• Ronnie Mac

Posted January 04, 2004 - 08:29 PM

I have the Bajh-designs kit for my wr450. It took some time to get a bulb to work with my bike ( blew about 5 bulbs before they sent a bulb that would stay lit 100-130 w)Have about 4400 miles on this kit, layed it over hard afew times with no problems. What I liked is it used the batt on the bike with out having to add a batt to run the kit. Good luck :)

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted January 05, 2004 - 06:59 AM

Bullet,
I have the Trick Dualsport kit on my WR450. Dale at TDS is a very helpful person. Any problems (none he caused) are quickly solved and his kits are somewhat cheaper than the others, but very high quality stuff. It's very easy to install too!!!!! check out www.trickdualsport.com
Jim

• Math

Posted January 05, 2004 - 11:09 AM

I have the Baja Design, it is much more solid than I thought it was going to be at first. The only thing I broke on it until now is the little orange cover of a blinker. And I don't blame it because it was a solid crash on a hard rocky road (bent handle bar, blood and so on...).

The kit works fine. The only thing that is not good is the little accumulator, it doesn't accumulate quite enough electricity from the WR to ensure that there will not be light diming when at idle

Ciao

• pedman

Posted January 05, 2004 - 02:39 PM

Jim

Got any pics of your bike. I like what I see on this Dual Sport Kit, everything seems to be low profile.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted January 05, 2004 - 05:34 PM

Pedman
I'm sorry to tell you this but I don't have a digital camera or even a computer. I do all of this here at work.
If I could take pictures of my bike and how it is set up I sure would because I am proud of my scoot. But like I said, NO CAN DO. Sorry :)
Jim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 06, 2004 - 07:43 PM

Trick Dual sport kit is fantastic. I am very pleased with how easy it is to switch back and forth in about 30 minutes. The kit has great controls The large headlight and UFO turn signals gives it a real good dual sport look. :)

• carbonbody

Posted January 07, 2004 - 08:01 AM

Can anyone tell me the DC reg/rect model or part number for one of these dual sport kits? I just need to charge a battery while riding.
thanks!

• 5spoke

Posted January 07, 2004 - 09:08 AM

Ask your dealer for the 03/04 WR450f regulator. 5TJ-81960-00-00 I got that part# off the Yamaha website so don't quote me on that, check with dealer.

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 07, 2004 - 09:19 AM

You can also get one from Baja Designs for $37. Goto BD Catalog and do a search on 122003.

• 5spoke

Posted January 07, 2004 - 09:32 AM

I'm not sure how much current those can handle. I think they are ment to power the kit and not the full load condition of battery charging. The Yamaha rectifier has a 12A AC and a 8A DC capacity.

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 07, 2004 - 10:57 AM

I'm pretty sure it's good for the full output of the magneto. I believe they use it to power all the lighting/horn in their kits. BTW - the stock 450 regulator only charges the battery. There's a seperate AC output for all the lighting. If you go to the BD website Baja Designs
and look in the tech info section there's a wiring diagram for the "Stator-Battery-Voltage Regulator" setup. The stock Yamaha reg is ~$65.

• 5spoke

Posted January 17, 2004 - 09:09 PM

I didn't like any of the available kits out there, so I'm in the process of building my own. Just made a custom license plate/turn signal bracket out of tread plate. It mounts onto the three existing tail-light bolts under the rear fender. The turn signals are also mounted to this bracket, thus no extra holes are drilled or cut into bike. This bracket is really strong and lightweight and looks better than anything I've seen. I'm making a few of them for my buddies and plan on making some extra in case someone wants to buy one.

The lighting control switch arrived on Sat. and I'm waiting for the other parts, which should arrive this week.

I'll post some pic's soon.

Here are some pic's of my dual sport conversion so far.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• 5spoke

Posted January 17, 2004 - 09:12 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

• 5spoke

Posted January 17, 2004 - 09:14 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

• 5spoke

Posted January 17, 2004 - 09:16 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.