2009 yz450f with 2006 cdi, yellow plastic insert

9 replies to this topic
  • vic2340

Posted December 06, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hello, I am writing this because on my 2009 yz450f I just replaced the cdi to a 2006 cdi as an upgrade. When I got the 06 cdi it didnt come with a yellow plastic insert that fits between the electrical prongs. Now I put yellow insert in from my 2009 cdi into the 2006 cdi and put it into my bike. The bike wouldnt even run past idle. I thought this was weird, I took the yellow plastic insert out and the bike runs fine now. However im wondering if this piece is important and should be in there or not. Does anybody know?

• vic2340

Posted December 07, 2013 - 07:29 AM

For some reason no one ever replies to my posts, anybody?

• crf450319

Posted December 07, 2013 - 09:24 AM

Haha, well I'll reply then...

I've got an '06 cdi in my '09, actually I've owned 2 '09 yz450f's and this ignition has been in both of them. I didn't take the yellow insert out of my '09 ignitions, I just ran the '06 as it was & it's been fine for 3 years. Hope that helps ?

• vic2340

Posted December 07, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Thank you so much for replying. I will put that yellow insert in. It must serve some purpose. Maybe when my cdi wasnt letting my bike go past idle i had the insert in wrong. I will try it again.

• crf450319

Posted December 08, 2013 - 06:42 AM

Thank you so much for replying. I will put that yellow insert in. It must serve some purpose. Maybe when my cdi wasnt letting my bike go past idle i had the insert in wrong. I will try it again.

What I meant was that I'm running the '06 ignition without the plastic insert.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bturner

Posted December 08, 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'm confused, so which is it? Put it in it leave it out? I'm looking for an 06 CDI, just wanna make sure I know everything I need to for install.

• asnyder2

Posted December 09, 2013 - 07:37 AM

I may be mistaken, but I believe the insert should go into the plug (harness). I believe it is there to keep the plastic tabs that lock the wires into the connector from pushing out and coming loose. Again, not 100% on this issue, just going on what I have experienced repairing others

• crf450319

Posted December 09, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hmm, didn't think I had it in there ? Oh well, I guess I did.

This is how mine has been, yellow insert in place for the last 3 years :

photo13_zpsa5ef19d6.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2013 - 10:36 AM

The insert is a part of the weather sealing system, and should not be omitted. In this case, I think what probably happened was that the OP did not get a complete connection to one or more pins on the first installation.

• vic2340

Posted December 12, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yes gray racer i think your right. I put it in this time and pressed the cdi in very hard. Now my bike runs fine. I think before even though i clicked it in the prongs still where not making a good connection to the cdi, you have to make sure that its in tight.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.