New 2014 Yz450f Novice Review

13 replies to this topic
  • cory151

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Just picked up a 2014 Yz 450 this morning. I caught the Yamaha  bug on a demo day out at Pala and I really loved the motor.  Coming from a fuel injected Rmz-450 Im just breaking the bike in and getting used to the different handling characteristics. Next month it will be the one year annivesary of me getting on a dirt bike for the first time, so Im pretty new to the sport.  Only real coaching was 2 weeks with Rick Johnson, learning the basics and such. 

Ive never ridden any of the the previous Yamaha's so I cannot compare it to earlier model years.  

Power: I do know that the YZ has more power (even with wider gearing)  than my Suzuki that has a full exhaust and filter.  The pull is tremendous everywhere in the RPM band and the engine starts easier and quicker than my RMZ.  Out of all the 2014 models this one felt the most powerful to me.  Perhaps it has too much?  When exiting turns on the gas the bike will either hook up and pull a 10" wheelie down the straight, or it wants to spin the rear tire. Almost like a 250 two stroke spins when it hits.  The throttle is very light in its twist, good thing to keep in mind as a little turn goes a long way on this throttle. 

Handling: I made zero adjustments to the suspensions and noticed how much lighter the front end felt compared the the Suzuki.  I definitely have more stamina on this bike and I believe the lightness of the front end is mostly responsible for my increased energy conservation. With the new flush mount gas cap you can really position yourself high up on the tank ( I believe there is a reason for this). I need more practice sliding further up the tank to get the front wheel to hook. A few times I felt the front wheel "slip out" on me. Ive read that changing the front tire fixes this issue.  Then again Ive also seen a review stating something to the effect that the bike would rather be steered more so, with the rear end, which seems to be the vibe I was getting.  Overall I believe it handles very well, I simply need to get used to riding slightly different, as Ive noticed the RMZ allows one to be a little lazy and still turn in tighter on people.  The YZ jumps very well, is extremely light in mid air and very predictable.  Its overall balance makes very easy to jump and "place" the bike on landing.  

Braking:  With an good oversized rotor on my last bike its not really a good comparison, but the YZ breaks well.  My only issue is that the YZ 450 seems to want to "buck and pop" when trail braking.  The Suzuki didn't seem to mind being forced to decelerate hard with the rear brake and the clutch partially or totally engaged, where as the YZ fights you on this.

Fit /Finish: The new YZ is a gorgeous machine in my opinion, with much more mechanical detail put  into the case and piping than some other brands I considered.  Everything appears to have been done to engineer the bike, to be as competitive as possible.  One thing I noticed is from where you sit on the YZ, is it feels as though the foot pegs sit further back on the bike (slightly), his doesn't appear to be a problem, simply something I need to get used to. 

Overall I'm very happy with the bike, just wish somebody would hurry up and come out with plastics already so I can slap the blue ones on with the black rims. Lastly,  I  searched the inter webs high and low looking for a good review from a non pro rider and they were hard to come by with the bike being so new. Perhaps this will allow somebody else to make an informed decision on a new bike. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5109.JPG
  • IMG_5112.JPG

• throttle violence

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:04 PM

i have always gone from suzuki to yamaha yz yzf rm rmz and vice versa  there the best bikes in my opinion, both rm & rmz out handled the yz's but the yz's engines were slightly better.

i reckon you just put a full b4 black gripper seat cover on it and black background white numbers,, should look trick!

• motoxjeff

Posted December 06, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Run your sag at 110, and move the forks up... Then just play with the rebound/ clickers. Enjoy the bike!

• cory151

Posted December 07, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Run your sag at 110, and move the forks up... Then just play with the rebound/ clickers. Enjoy the bike!

Should you set sag sitting or standing?  

How much should you move the forks?

Edited by cory151, December 07, 2013 - 10:51 PM.

• motoxjeff

Posted December 08, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Check YouTube on how to adjust sag. Move the forks up approximately 5mm. Typically a two person job. Once you adjust it to 110 and move the forks up, it just sticks in corners

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Actually, it works best with three people. The really proper way is for one person to do the measuring and another to hold the bike up while you stand on the pegs with as little pressure on the bars as possible. Next best is to sit directly over the pegs with as little of your weight on your feet as possible.

• sesker15

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:13 PM

Check YouTube on how to adjust sag. Move the forks up approximately 5mm. Typically a two person job. Once you adjust it to 110 and move the forks up, it just sticks in corners

Will this sag setting help the front wheel have more traction, and take away that light front wheel felling? 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeuszuki

Posted January 13, 2014 - 12:34 AM

Will this sag setting help the front wheel have more traction, and take away that light front wheel felling?

Yes, that and pushing the forks up in the triple clamps 5mm ( the first line on the forks ). Run the correct tyre for the terrain , lean on the front and enjoy :-)

• sesker15

Posted January 13, 2014 - 08:02 AM

Yes, that and pushing the forks up in the triple clamps 5mm ( the first line on the forks ). Run the correct tyre for the terrain , lean on the front and enjoy :-)

Thanks. I rode the 14 at a demo and like everything about it except for that light front end feel. I'm a front wheel steering type if guy. Glad to hear its a fix out there to get rid of that lite front end feel.

• motoxjeff

Posted February 06, 2014 - 05:56 AM

Just picked up a 2014 Yz 450 this morning. I caught the Yamaha bug on a demo day out at Pala and I really loved the motor. Coming from a fuel injected Rmz-450 Im just breaking the bike in and getting used to the different handling characteristics. Next month it will be the one year annivesary of me getting on a dirt bike for the first time, so Im pretty new to the sport. Only real coaching was 2 weeks with Rick Johnson, learning the basics and such.

Ive never ridden any of the the previous Yamaha's so I cannot compare it to earlier model years.

Power: I do know that the YZ has more power (even with wider gearing) than my Suzuki that has a full exhaust and filter. The pull is tremendous everywhere in the RPM band and the engine starts easier and quicker than my RMZ. Out of all the 2014 models this one felt the most powerful to me. Perhaps it has too much? When exiting turns on the gas the bike will either hook up and pull a 10" wheelie down the straight, or it wants to spin the rear tire. Almost like a 250 two stroke spins when it hits. The throttle is very light in its twist, good thing to keep in mind as a little turn goes a long way on this throttle.

Handling: I made zero adjustments to the suspensions and noticed how much lighter the front end felt compared the the Suzuki. I definitely have more stamina on this bike and I believe the lightness of the front end is mostly responsible for my increased energy conservation. With the new flush mount gas cap you can really position yourself high up on the tank ( I believe there is a reason for this). I need more practice sliding further up the tank to get the front wheel to hook. A few times I felt the front wheel "slip out" on me. Ive read that changing the front tire fixes this issue. Then again Ive also seen a review stating something to the effect that the bike would rather be steered more so, with the rear end, which seems to be the vibe I was getting. Overall I believe it handles very well, I simply need to get used to riding slightly different, as Ive noticed the RMZ allows one to be a little lazy and still turn in tighter on people. The YZ jumps very well, is extremely light in mid air and very predictable. Its overall balance makes very easy to jump and "place" the bike on landing.

Braking: With an good oversized rotor on my last bike its not really a good comparison, but the YZ breaks well. My only issue is that the YZ 450 seems to want to "buck and pop" when trail braking. The Suzuki didn't seem to mind being forced to decelerate hard with the rear brake and the clutch partially or totally engaged, where as the YZ fights you on this.

Fit /Finish: The new YZ is a gorgeous machine in my opinion, with much more mechanical detail put into the case and piping than some other brands I considered. Everything appears to have been done to engineer the bike, to be as competitive as possible. One thing I noticed is from where you sit on the YZ, is it feels as though the foot pegs sit further back on the bike (slightly), his doesn't appear to be a problem, simply something I need to get used to.

Overall I'm very happy with the bike, just wish somebody would hurry up and come out with plastics already so I can slap the blue ones on with the black rims. Lastly, I searched the inter webs high and low looking for a good review from a non pro rider and they were hard to come by with the bike being so new. Perhaps this will allow somebody else to make an informed decision on a new bike.

I highly recommend dr dr radiator lowering kit as well

• yz133rider

Posted February 06, 2014 - 06:24 AM

Would you rmz guys say that the rmz450s turn sharper and easier even than a yz250f? Are they really that good with a ton of front grip? I may have to jump ship, i love my yamis though

• MESSMAKER

Posted February 06, 2014 - 07:16 PM

This is my first F.I. bike and I love it. I am a bigger guy at 6'2" and about 225. I never thought I would ride a stock sprung bike that fit so well. All i have done so far is slide the forks up to the 5mm mark and two clicks less comp up front. Get the GYTR tuner also, it really is a good investment if you are out of shape like me so you can mellow out the bike until you can hold on better. Love the hidden gas cap and so do the boys.LOL Overall best handling bike in the air I have ridden. I second guessed getting it for a while but no regrets here now that I have a few hours on it.

• MXKyle

Posted February 07, 2014 - 05:03 AM

Would you rmz guys say that the rmz450s turn sharper and easier even than a yz250f? Are they really that good with a ton of front grip? I may have to jump ship, i love my yamis though

I've ridden the new RM's and they do turn great but I guarantee you would cry over your missed YZ suspension.  The RM forks are not even close to what you are used to.  I wouldn't take a slight improvement in turning at such a loss in the suspension department.

--KT--

• K-JA

Posted February 07, 2014 - 08:27 AM

its turns as sharp as any 2 stroker. suddenly i loved corners when i bought my rmz!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.