Fuel Tank Repair

6 replies to this topic
  • Order66

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:13 PM

I'm looking for recommendations for repairing a cracked fuel tank on my '02 wr426. It's not a large crack. At first I didn't even think the inner wall (if there is one) was cracked but after a day's ride there was a little bit of leakage. Can it be repaired or do I just need another one? Thanks for your suggestions.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

• Sqwid

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:16 PM

You can pick up a plastic weld kit for cheap from harbor freight. Works good

• 717 MOTORSPORTS

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:29 PM

I have yet to see a plastic weld, any glue, any epoxy, or sealer work fixing a plastic fuel tank. All are unfortunately only temporary

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shoodong

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:37 PM

JB weld would work make sure your tank is bone dry before you put it on and clean the crack out. Or use some silicon.

• thejunkman

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:39 PM

3m DP8005 however it is more of a structural adhesive for low surface energy plastics not really a sealant, but it will bond to the plastic.

• 1987CR250R

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Plastic weld works but is tricky to do.

• 717 MOTORSPORTS

Posted December 05, 2013 - 06:10 AM

Nothing works! I had a Yamaha tank which I tried everything on. Welding, to JBweld. The only thing that worked a little was SealAll. It would last a couple weeks, before having to peel it off, and re-do it. Gasoline, and especially alcohol eats through anything you can stick on,and in the area. Welding just re-cracks, because the fuel tank flexes as you ride.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.