Bark Busters on Pro Taper Bars?

11 replies to this topic
  • Matt_W

Posted December 27, 2001 - 02:42 PM

I have a pair of Pro-Taper bars on the way and I started to think about the installation of my current bark busters. Since the Pro Taper bars are thicker (1 1/8") than regular bars (1"), will my bark busters fit on the Pro Tapers? If they will not, does someone make bark buster mounts specifically for the 1 1/8" bars ?

• YZ426guy

Posted December 27, 2001 - 03:08 PM

Yup, I got the same set up on my bike. I had to get a clamp for the fatter bars. It cost about $28 or so. Use your original bark busters and inner handlebar clamp with it. Works GREAT. I believe it is made by Answer. I got it from my local dealer but I bet it is carried by Dennis Kirk, Chapparal and others. You'll be blasting little trees over in no time.

• John_H

Posted December 27, 2001 - 05:12 PM

Hey Matt,

I'm in the same boat after I got my protapers. MX South sells the protaper clamp kit. Looks like it's $32. I reallllly want to put my barkbusters back on (wrecked a lever the other day), but I'm seriously thinking about some triple clamp mounts instead of the bar clamps. Cycra makes triple clamp mounts for it's handguards and I'm wondering if they'd work on my Acerbis rally pros.

Here's the links to those two parts.....

http://www.mxsouth.c...cbcntralpro.htm

http://www.mxsouth.c...yccntreptri.htm

• Matt_W

Posted December 28, 2001 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for the replys! I looked in my Dennis Kirk and "Crap"arral catalog and did find replacement mounts to fit Pro Taper bars.

Since you guys are running bark busters, I assume you are woods riders? My next question is, have you cut your Pro Tapers down shorter for woods riding? After shelling out $150 for the Pro Taper set up, I'm a little leary about breaking out the hack saw right away. Any recommendations on shortening or not shortening them?

• YZ400Court

Posted December 28, 2001 - 03:39 AM

Just remember, If you shorten them you may have to modify the bark busters, as the bars are TAPERED. If you cut the ends, you will move the bar mountgs in on the taper, and they will not fit. You may be able to drill a new hole in the handgaurd. The best way to shorten tapered bars is cut a piece out of the middle and weld the bars back together.

• GNCCJON

Posted December 28, 2001 - 06:26 AM

I have the same set up but I use the cygra probend garuds the kit come with everything you need..And for most places I cut 1/2 to 1 inch off..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mr._Bandicoot

Posted December 29, 2001 - 10:43 PM

I have a set of Moose ProTaper adapters that I can get rid of if anyone is interested...

• Matt_W

Posted December 29, 2001 - 12:03 PM

Mr. Bandicoot, are they the inner adapters or the bar end adapters? I assume they were for the Moose bark busters, the single bar aluminum guards? I'm in the market for the inner adapters for pro-taper bars, so let me know what you want for them. You can email me at yz426@epix.net

• moto614

Posted December 30, 2001 - 01:23 PM

hi guys, i have pro-tapers and the cycra pro bend racer kit(pro-bend aluminum gaurds w/plastic deflectors)ended up getting the triple clamp mounts for the gaurds,had to to get longer pinch bolts but well worth it,they mount much easier and the gaurds don't rotate when i take a soil sample.

• John_H

Posted December 30, 2001 - 09:53 PM

Originally posted by moto614:
hi guys, i have pro-tapers and the cycra pro bend racer kit(pro-bend aluminum gaurds w/plastic deflectors)ended up getting the triple clamp mounts for the gaurds,had to to get longer pinch bolts but well worth it,they mount much easier and the gaurds don't rotate when i take a soil sample.

Hey 614,

I kinda like the flex my protapers have and I wonder if the triple clamp mounts make it more rigid? I read some time back that they do. What's your take on it?

• moto614

Posted December 30, 2001 - 10:58 PM

JOHN H,thats a good question i can't say as i noticed a difference in the less flex issue most of my riding is tight single track and maybe slower than some but,my few "moto" rides and harescramble type rides(faster paced jumps,whoops and such)all seems to be good w/this setup next time i ride i will make sure i pay particular attention to this and get back to you though.
anyone else have any input on this????

• John_H

Posted December 31, 2001 - 01:47 PM

I hadn't really noticed it either until the last time I was out flying over some whoops. Felt like my bars were moving in the clamps like my stock ones would do on a really hard landing. Took a little getting used to, but I like it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.