full face helmet

5 replies to this topic
  • iron_savior

Posted January 04, 2004 - 01:17 AM

greetings, bit of of a silly question

do any of you guys ride with a full face helmet (road type)
i have been riding my xr650 for about 4 months now,
and really think a full face helmet is better, especially with the speed and acceleration of these bikes.
i know they look a bit goofy , but for fast open tracks
and fire roads i think they better than mx helmets

i'm sure you've all felt rain drops hit your face at 90 mph
not the most pleasant feeling,
when its time to get serious i drop the visor like a knight going into battle and blitzkrieg everything in my way. :)

cheers
w

• doctorleevil

Posted January 04, 2004 - 01:47 AM

It's funny that you mention that. I was in the bike shop looking at off road helmets today due to something that happened to me last week.

I was off-roading in my street gear last week (being more of a street rider than dirt.) When i get caught in a rut and dumped my bike. The park I was in had very strict helmet rules. After about 5 minutes of wrestling with the front forks(helmet lid up) to get some traction i said screw my full face helmet and put it on the ground. After i get my bike up i look back at my helmet to see a "rainforest" inside of my helmet. There was 0% visibility from all the residual sweat that was still steaming in the helmet. Needless to say my helmet isn't smelling the same :D even after many attempts of purification. :)

Long story short. If you're on the street, full face helmets are cool, if you're on the dirt get an mx helmet. Those things have vents/visors for a reason.

• BrianVT

Posted January 04, 2004 - 06:04 AM

I've been using one by Lazer for 12 years and liked it. I'd usually just cracked the visor open a little to prevent fogging.
It took a big hit this year so it's done. It's discontinued so I just bought a conventional w/goggles.
Then I saw this yesterday:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=2451880372
Cheers,
BC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted January 04, 2004 - 07:54 PM

There is a new helmet by Arai that is a hybrid-its got an enclosed face, with a visor. I suppose its targeted at the dual sport market.
For sure its gonna be hotter in there-but if you are an ice racer, or allergic to bee stings (me!)- or prone to riding when the sun is in your eyes--then maybe its the way to go.

• jbrown404

Posted January 05, 2004 - 07:10 PM

I've been riding with one of the new Arai XD's for about a month now and really like it. It can be used with or without the faceshield or visor and has plenty of ventilation. If anything, I think it lets too much air in for my pleasure when riding on the pavement with all of the vents closed. I'm sure I'll have a different opinion when the weather warms up though.

• TZAR

Posted January 06, 2004 - 09:36 AM

I use the new Arai TourX helmet; I love it! I had it shipped in from the UK, however after-the-fact, I heard that it is now being sold in the US.

THX, TZAR
:)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.