50cc 2-stroke question

2 replies to this topic
  • Frank_B

Posted December 27, 2001 - 11:11 AM

I know this is a four-stroke forum but I'm hoping you can all be tolerant of a 2-stroke carb. issue.

I recently purchased a Malaguti scooter (50cc 2-stroke) for my wife. There was a slow fuel leak (drip) coming from one of the carb hoses. (I believe it was the float overflow... I didn't check closely because it's under warranty.) Anyhow, the dealer has had it for over a week now. I spoke to them yesterday and they told me they had the leak fixed but it wasn't running properly. I asked them what was causing the leak. He told me they removed the hose (the fuel was leaking from) and sealed the hole off with a screw. Seems to me if the carb. was engineered with that hole and tube, it was for a reason.

Anyhow, I'm interested in any comments on what the bowl overflow actually does; whether closing it off would affect the way the motor runs, etc.

Picture & specs (air-cooled model) ---> http://www.malagutiu...antom/index.asp

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted December 27, 2001 - 11:21 AM

Neat looking scooter. :)

I don't think your dealer knows what he's doing. If there was a hole there with a tube attached then it should not be plugged with a screw. I'm sure the engineers put it there for a reason! If I were you I would pick up the scooter and take it to a different dealer.

If it is the overflow or vent for the float bowl that was dripping then something simple like a float out of adjustment, or a bad seal around the float valve could cause the bowl to overflow and drip from the overflow/vent tube. In this case plugging the vent would almost surely negatively affect the way that it runs.

• Boit

Posted December 27, 2001 - 08:39 PM

I'm with Sir Thump. Plugging a carb vent is no way to cure that drip/leak. If the float is too high, excess fuel is vented through one of the hoses.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.