Race sag correct but bike suspension sits low.

10 replies to this topic
  • Bigdong

Posted December 02, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

Ive had a problem with my rear shock and ive had it ever since ive bought the bike.

Basically after setting race sag and everything when i sit on the bike its lower than any other bikes. even without putting weight on the bike it sits lower. Is this simply needing a new spring or could the rear shock be damaged?

thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2013 - 01:11 PM

Race sag is the amount the rear suspension compresses from fully extended (meaning that the bike is on a stand with the wheels off the ground) with your weight on it.

If you have correctly set the race sag, it should sit at the same height as other bikes with you on board.  Sounds like you did something wrong.

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

• jim1234

Posted December 02, 2013 - 05:00 PM

If the race is correct and your static sag is too much I would suspect the spring rate is too stiff. Have you checked any any spring calculators for your weight? Try setting your static sag and see were your race sag ends up.

Edited by jim1234, December 02, 2013 - 05:02 PM.

• Bigdong

Posted December 04, 2013 - 09:10 AM

It was professionally setup for a 13 stone rider, with gear im probably 12. The problem is the bike sits too low with or without me on it. Its been like that since ive had it. We have two 09 yz450s and mine sits lower. I cant slide any stand under it because its too low and when side by side u can see the difference. My race sag is set to 100mm.

Ive not checked any calculators but i would have assumed if its set for a heavier rider then it shouldnt sit lower.

Edited by Bigdong, December 04, 2013 - 09:12 AM.

• Kawracr 173

Posted December 04, 2013 - 09:18 AM

Buy the bike new or used? Might that it has lowering links on it from previous owner. If new then we'll guess again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bigdong

Posted December 04, 2013 - 09:31 AM

Buy the bike new or used? Might that it has lowering links on it from previous owner. If new then we'll guess again.

Its used but no lowering link.

I think possibly because im lighter than its sprung for its messing up the static sag? Because im pretty sure my race sag is fine.

• If the static sag is greater than 1 3/4 inch – the spring is probably too stiff.

What i would wonder though if this is correct would changing to a softer spring  cause me to bottom out easier? i tend to have some very hard landings at times and wouldnt want to risk another pair of broken ankles.

Edited by Bigdong, December 04, 2013 - 09:33 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2013 - 09:37 AM

The point is that you say the bike is too low with your weight on it.  The height of the bike with your weight on it IS the race sag, which is what you said that you set correctly.  So, either your bike is not any lower than any of the rest like yours, or you did not in fact set the race sag right.

• Kawracr 173

Posted December 04, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I'd say spring it to your weight. Always seems to be good place to start. As far as your bottoming I would lean towards valving for that part of the equation.

• Bigdong

Posted December 04, 2013 - 10:40 AM

The point is that you say the bike is too low with your weight on it.  The height of the bike with your weight on it IS the race sag, which is what you said that you set correctly.  So, either your bike is not any lower than any of the rest like yours, or you did not in fact set the race sag right.

I said the bike is too low with or without my weight on it. With me on it i can touch the ground with flat feet. WIthout me on it it also sits too low. I will check my race sag i definitely set it when i got the bike but maybe i set it wrong.

• clutchkowalski

Posted December 04, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Pull the linkage apart, and replace all the bad rusty bearings and seals, and the swingarm bearings and seals and it will allow the suspension to operate as it should. Just went through this on a YZ400 that must have had no maintenance since it was new.

• YamaLink

Posted December 11, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Some explanations:

Sticky linkage from lack of maintenance.

Prior owner had spacers installed internally to lower the bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.