Dr.D vs GYTR

9 replies to this topic
  • MyersAvionics

Posted December 01, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'm getting a new exhaust for my 13' WR450 this winter and for my past 4-strokes i have went w/Dr.D (MX only bikes) and have had good results. I was looking at getting the NS-4 from Dr.D for the new WR, but the GYTR sounds like it's a proven product for the WR's as well. http://www.motosport...th-Aluminum-Can

Anyone have any background with either pipe and have any cons on either? 

• Navaho6

Posted December 01, 2013 - 11:37 AM

I have the FMF Powercore on my 2006 WR.  It is the same as the GYTR muffler that I just order for my 2013 WR.  I have not had any issues with the FMF.  It's light weight and you can get a quiet core insert for it.  It's not quiet at all though.  DRD is good also and is a popular choice on YZ's. 

• JDLowrance

Posted December 01, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Dr.D with 94db insert is louder than the FMF/GYT-R PC4 with QC insert. No need to loosen the header to change the oil filter either....big issue with the last Dr.D I had. They may have fixed this by now.

• The Hedgehog

Posted December 01, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Both good products.

I have a Dr D and am very happy with it. You only need a slip on for the new WR so the need to loosen for an oil change is a non-issue.

It seems a little quieter than my friends FMF.

The Dr D was a huge improvement. It smoothed out the entire powerband.

I would go with the Dr D again any time.

• Navaho6

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Looks like this WR has a DRD :http://www.youtube.c...h?v=W9kbIDBcDhE

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted December 01, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Both good products.

I have a Dr D and am very happy with it. You only need a slip on for the new WR so the need to loosen for an oil change is a non-issue.

It seems a little quieter than my friends FMF.

The Dr D was a huge improvement. It smoothed out the entire powerband.

I would go with the Dr D again any time.

Not entirely true. Some may be happy with just the silencer but I installed the whole system as you get more power up the tach....larger header diameter.

• JDLowrance

Posted December 01, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Looks like this WR has a DRD :http://www.youtube.c...h?v=W9kbIDBcDhE

Yep. Dr.D made the GYT-R pipes for Yamaha for the carbed bikes and the Aussies mounted that up to the injected bike before Yamaha released the new FMF versions.

• The Hedgehog

Posted December 02, 2013 - 07:04 AM

Not entirely true. Some may be happy with just the silencer but I installed the whole system as you get more power up the tach....larger header diameter.

True, if you want that additional hp or so.

The difference between stock and the aftermarket header is not as much as it was Pre 2012. MOST people that are looking for that last little bit of power further up the band know that anyway.

• funt

Posted December 02, 2013 - 11:11 AM

I bought an 07 YZ header.  The 12 WR header can slip inside it so it's a few mm fatter for sure.  The 08 YZ header is supposed to be really big.  I don't know how big an FMF header is, maybe like an 08?  I left the 12 on there for now, haven't been riding much lately.

Edited by funt, December 02, 2013 - 11:11 AM.

• WAECHTERW

Posted December 03, 2013 - 01:11 PM

you might try buying a stock YZ headpipe(take off) and get the slip on.  The YZ headpipe is larger diameter

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.