Off-topic WR

2 replies to this topic
  • Harry_in_Oz

Posted April 29, 2001 - 12:05 AM

I got to test ride another WR today. A limited edition WR250, I'm not sure who puts them together, I wasn't listening too hard. I just wanted to ride it. Its a modified (barely) YZ250 two stroke apparentely they made 300 of them for use in Australian enduros. That means that they can be registered, then uncorked. Mate was doing a photo shoot and write up for a Mag, I got the bike after one of the freestyle Carrols.
OK the mate is a past student who I have finally trained to give me a bell when he has a bike to shoot. I think he does the pics for a Yamaha site. So all those years teaching High School weren't wasted.
The bike.
I haven't ridden a two stroke since I busted my neck in 82 so I know nothing, other than theory, about power valves and disk brakes on two strokes. What a blast. I picked up half a dozen mates in the Forestry. They had been remarking the ancient Enduro tracks from when I was the local Clerk of Course. No one had used them(the tracks)since 85. Learning about throttle control again was made easier by the torque below the power band. The thing suprised me on the hills. Exploring can get you into some hairy uphills. Remember this is OZ where the logs are hardwood and last for decades hidden in the bladey grass. This thing just zipped over them in the steep going and as for the fire trail back to Johns farm, well I'm still trembling. I'm not going to sell my 98 WR400 yet but I'v got a lot more respect for the modern two stroke. Four strokes rule but the two stroke is far from dead.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted April 29, 2001 - 04:31 AM

Good for you, Harry! I raced and rode 2 strokes too long to write them off as defunct, obsolete or primitive!

If anyone is in doubt, give a 2 stroke 250 mx'r a ride. Your eyes WILL open.

'99 WZ with all YZ mods, de-octopused, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean and Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

• BillS

Posted April 29, 2001 - 04:41 PM

I used to drive my fathers Can-Am 370 MX5 in 1979. I agree the new 4-strokes are amazing and I had an absolute blast driving my WR today, but I recall I could do just about anything on that Can-Am. You can see an example of one at:

00WR400, BD Dual Sport Kit, Airbox lid removed, UFO Dakar Hand Guards, Panoram Computer, Ottawa, Canada

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.