2009 yz 450 f problems ?

4 replies to this topic
  • roosted1

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:44 PM

hi looking at purchasing a very clean and well looked after yz 450f. can anyone tell me if this model bike give the gear box  problems the earlier models gave

also do they have any other problems ? 

thanks

• phillybob

Posted December 02, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Over all a good bike. I have about 150 hrs on mine in 2 yrs. of racing harescrmbles and weekend trail riding.Enginewise no problems.Banged it into gear a few times no tranny explosion yet.Have the valves ,valve seats checked every yr.my exhaust valves needed a little shim so far.Only problem so far is the inner cartridge of the forks,blew both free pistons to bits twice before i saw how to rectify the problem.ordered the aftermarket aluminum ones .For motocross its fun,harescrambles its a handful! Its heavy!Coming from a 2 stroke cr 250 to a 4 stroke 450 was a shock .No more instant pow. Just instant giddy up and go .Jumping is a breaze.Clutch handled plenty of abuse,was still within specs .piston was good needed new rings. Hope this helped.   Phil

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted December 02, 2013 - 08:13 PM

hi looking at purchasing a very clean and well looked after yz 450f. can anyone tell me if this model bike give the gear box problems the earlier models gave
also do they have any other problems ?
thanks

No gear box problems. The stock pipe is junk and the cdi timing curve is tame. Dr D pipe and an 06 yz450 cdi and it's a whole knew motor

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Gear problems.  Hmm.

Here's a couple of gears from an '06 with 300+ hours on it.  They were swapped out for the WR 4th and 5th.  I don't see a gear problem.

4thwhl_zps6d7a9e9d.jpg

4thpin_zps02dcd706.jpg

• roosted1

Posted December 03, 2013 - 12:23 PM

thanks for the replies guys , I bought it last night   !     very happy :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.