Replacing the Cam Chain?

10 replies to this topic
  • opie

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hello all it's been a while.  I have a question about replacing the cam chain.  I have a 2012 YZ450 with about 75 hrs on it and need to do some work replacing parts after a pretty good crash.  My question is should I just look at replacing the chain now while the bikes is out of commission or should I wait?  I've replaced the chain on previous bikes at about 100 or so hours and every time it wasn't even stretched. Has anyone had any issues with their chains by waiting until it was at 100 plus hours?  It is regularly ridden and raced but at a Vet B level.  Any replies would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Falcon 1

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Opie,

Most all cam chains are the same across all makes and models of dirt bikes. I normally replace my cam chain every time I replace piston and rings.. however. Honestly the chain looks like new when I replace it, I just feel better knowing I have a new cam chain with a fresh top end. Honestly, the cam chain will last much longer than the piston.. so you could probably get 100 hours out of it with no problem. I think people ask for trouble when they never replace the cam chain with hundreds of hours on them.. 

You should have no problem changing the cam chain every 100 hrs. 

PS:

I have replaced countless cam chains, and never had one that was stretched. Probably could have got another 100 hrs out of the ones I've replaced. However, I tend to "over service" my bikes.

Good luck. 

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Timing chain: $20

Potential disaster caused by timing chain failure: $3000

Do the math.

Same with valve springs, BTW.

• Yzflier977

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Grey, what's the recommended service schedule on replacing the valve springs?

• opie

Posted December 01, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate them.  I'm with Yzflier and curious Grey if you have a recommended service schedule in general for our YZ450's? It seems you are definitely, in my opinion,  the most qualified guy to get direction on servicing Yamahas.  :) Thanks again!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • joaquin1296

Posted December 01, 2013 - 11:28 PM

I have a question, is it possible to change the timing chain without opening the whole motor? I mean just the top end and ignition. Or you have to open the crankcase in half.

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2013 - 07:21 AM

Yes.  Takes about an hour.

http://www.thumperta...f/#entry2520291

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Grey, what's the recommended service schedule on replacing the valve springs?

There isn't one.  It depends a lot on how you ride.  If you're up in the rev range all the time, they'll age faster than if you aren't.  Change them with each piston change at least, I would think.

• roysicotte

Posted January 07, 2014 - 11:49 AM

changing the timing chain is super simple. take the top or your motor off to get to your cams. once you have your cams available you'll need to take the chain tensioner off along with your stator cover. then you pull your flywheel and take your stator off so you can get to the sprocket on the crank which is behind your flywheel and stator. that way you don't need to crack the motor. I just changed mine with the motor in the bike. refer to your manual for setting your timing.  this whole process on takes about 30 mins   very simple

• etuke

Posted January 07, 2014 - 01:58 PM

changing the timing chain is super simple. take the top or your motor off to get to your cams. once you have your cams available you'll need to take the chain tensioner off along with your stator cover. then you pull your flywheel and take your stator off so you can get to the sprocket on the crank which is behind your flywheel and stator. that way you don't need to crack the motor. I just changed mine with the motor in the bike. refer to your manual for setting your timing.  this whole process on takes about 30 mins   very simple

so you don't have to remove the cams to do it?The 426 I had the cams had to come out to get the chain off the gear,even with the tensioner out of the cylinder it still wouldn't come off.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2014 - 02:11 PM

Not certain on the 2010+ models, but on all previous YZF's the cams must be removed. 

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.