2013 WR450 - Programming for FMF?

5 replies to this topic
  • Navaho6

Posted November 30, 2013 - 02:10 PM

Just bought a 2013, and I have a couple of questions that the dealer could not answer.  When you put the GYTR (FMF) muffler on, is it necessary to change out the ECU at that point and remap?  If the answer is "yes", then do I need the Power Tuner or can the dealer do this with his EFI Controller?  The dealer does NOT have the Power Tuner.  If needed, I would have to buy one.

Does the dealer have to reprogram the air/fuel idle mixture for the FMF pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Navaho6, November 30, 2013 - 02:15 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:44 PM

If you buy the GYTR kit, you get a mapping tool, Competition CDI, throttle stop change kit, and the FMF pipe.

• Navaho6

Posted December 01, 2013 - 05:52 AM

Same muffler and EFI Programmer can be purchased on ebay and Rockymountainatv for much less than what the dealer charges  Rockymtn sells the tuner for $230.  Dealer wants $280.  I got the FMF for $260.  Dealer wants $300.  The Competition Kit includes only the programmable ECU and YZ throttle stop. Those two parts are on the way.

I may get a tuner eventually but for now, all I want to do is install the muffler and go riding.  I'm just wondering if the bike will run properly without reprogamming after the muffler swap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted December 01, 2013 - 08:10 AM

Same muffler and EFI Programmer can be purchased on ebay and Rockymountainatv for much less than what the dealer charges  Rockymtn sells the tuner for $230.  Dealer wants $280.  I got the FMF for $260.  Dealer wants $300.  The Competition Kit includes only the programmable ECU and YZ throttle stop. Those two parts are on the way.

I may get a tuner eventually but for now, all I want to do is install the muffler and go riding.  I'm just wondering if the bike will run properly without reprogamming after the muffler swap.

The bike will run a little lean without the reprogramming.

• vlxjim

Posted December 01, 2013 - 08:43 AM

You need to change out the ECU to the Comp ECU. The stock ECU is tuned so that it can be EPA and CARB green sticker very lean. And you cannot program the stock ECU. The Comp ECU's base map is much better than stock but still needs remapping. The screw is just to block the hole, its not like (or) the YZ screw. On the FI bikes there is a hard stop casted inside the body. Putting on the FMF will lean it out even more. You should get the GYTR programer. Start with the FMF map and go from there. I would also bump the CO level to 10 to 15. This is about the same as going up two pilot jets sizes.

After doing so you will not believe how much power you have on tap. 

• Navaho6

Posted December 01, 2013 - 09:24 AM

Thanks. That's what I needed to know, guys.  Got everything on order.   Looking forward to the first ride.  I've ridden the '12 WR a couple of times but it was completely stock.  Felt like a 400 cc motor.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.