Time to split the cases on the ole wr400. Worthwhile upgrade recommendations needed.

6 replies to this topic
  • TurboDon

Posted November 27, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Well I'm pretty certain the rod & rodbearing finally exceeded their wear limit last weekend on my 99 WR 400.

The bike has a lot of hours/ miles on it. I want to freshen it up, make some good upgrades and get it ready for another decade or so of abuse.

As it sits the bike's current mods engine wise are : grey wire, yz timed, dr.d pipe, and airbox mods, and that's basically it.

The power on this bike has always been ok and it has been a solid runner. starts first kick unchoked stone cold and will go right to idle.

So basically I'm wondering what upgrades are recommended to be done while I have this thing torn down.

Here's what I had in mind.

have a new 426 rod pressed on the crank.

bore cylinder to 95mm.

13.5:1 weisco 426cc piston.

freshen up the head, most likely do some porting or at least port clean up (myself).

was thinking of upgrading the carb to something off a newer 426 or 450 (thoughts on this?)

should I change any bearings out?

should the clutch be upgraded for the increased power?

any other tips/ tricks/ suggestions?

• TurboDon

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Everyone out riding for the weekend or what?

• GuyGraham

Posted November 30, 2013 - 01:51 AM

Personally, I'd not invest the money and time in it and I'd get a later model for the better handling

Even if you replace every bearing and worn out part you are still gonna have a 15 year old bike with handling of a bike from the nineties

the al frame bikes were a good step forward in term of hanlding, over the steel framed 400/426/450 bikes

If you really do want to keep then replace rod, main bearings, any of the gears with pitting on the faces of the teeth, piston, rings & valve seals.

Sorry can't advise on the specifics, as I'm not that familiar with the 400/426 variants

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TurboDon

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Ya I want to keep it for sure.

The 6 hundred dollars or so for an overhaul is a small price to pay compared to scrapping it and buying a new bike.

Being as its plated in California makes it a pretty desirable.

I'm a pretty experienced rider and am not ashamed to say I've been passed hard by older vets on XR400s out on the trails.

A newer bike isn't going to make me get from point A to B any faster..... That electric start would sure be nice tho!

• senorblondie

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:38 PM

I actually have had 2 1999 wr400s. I love them. I still have one.
Have you heard of filing down the throttle stop?

• TurboDon

Posted December 01, 2013 - 10:17 AM

I actually have had 2 1999 wr400s. I love them. I still have one.
Have you heard of filing down the throttle stop?

Yeah I've heard of that one, For some reason when I checked mine out it seemed as though the slide opened to it's full potential without any modifications.

When I do this overhaul I have been contemplating putting on a newer carb off a YZ anyhow.

Edited by TurboDon, December 01, 2013 - 10:23 AM.

• Tanis

Posted December 01, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Good to change the rod, iv seen a heap of wr 426 end up getting scraped after the rod failed, iv got one and they keep coming up on eBay in aus!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.