Paris Dakar tonight on speed channel at 9 pm est

16 replies to this topic
  • Carlisle1972

Posted January 03, 2004 - 04:36 PM

If your interested,IMO a 6500 mile race is long :)

• qadsan

Posted January 03, 2004 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for the notice :)

• big t

Posted January 03, 2004 - 05:44 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks

• 600ish

Posted January 03, 2004 - 05:56 PM

By Far the greatest race in the world. Watch for the KTM/Red Bull All-American team with Paul Krause, Larry Roeseler and Casey McCoy on a 950cc V-Twin doing 6500 miles in less than 3 weeks!

• jetdave

Posted January 06, 2004 - 01:55 PM

Wow I count 46 Honda XR's in Dakar. I think if I was using that much energy to complete event I would want electric start. I bet the 650's are fun in the desert. :)

• irondude

Posted January 06, 2004 - 03:57 PM

Its the 7th day, and there are 3 XR400's in front of the first Dakar BRP--in 52nd place!!!!!! :D
Whats up with that? :)

Harden is up to 13th place. Not bad for an overweight middle aged guy who hasnt raced a major race since Reagan was in office!!!!

Roesler must have had some problems- he's like 45 minutes off the leaders now - :D

What a race. What a freakin race. Dakar is the ultimate expression of mankind. Just incredible what those guys are doing--imagine it - today they are racing over 700 miles after a week of anxiety and cold and hundreds of miles already! Awesome. Other than polar exploration-or maybe big wall free climbing, ok--throw in solo around-the-world boat racing- other than that--it just doesnt get any more hard core. OK maybe hunting down Taliban on mules with the US Special Forces...hmmm, wouldnt that be cool. Maybe pay some adventure tour company $10,000 and ya get to go hunting in South Waziristan for Taliban....hmmm, ok way off topic here...only two more hours until the Dakar is on Speedvision!

Why is the fastest BRP in 52nd place?! What kind of steering dampner does he have?!

• qadsan

Posted January 06, 2004 - 04:20 PM

Why is the fastest BRP in 52nd place?!

The first problem is all those XR650R's are being run on diesel #1. The second problem is they're all running 13/65 gearing and can only top out at 66 MPH. The third problem is that these are all Motard conversions with the wrong tires, etc. The list just goes on, but I think they're doing pretty well considering :)

I guess were all lucky there's not a XR100 ahead of all the XR650R's or we'd really be shamed :D

As always, a good rider on a slow bike is faster than a bad rider on a fast bike :D

Posted January 06, 2004 - 04:42 PM

Hey you guys forgot about the YAMAHA 2-TRAC still has the fastest time. :D :D :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted January 06, 2004 - 04:49 PM

Hey you guys forgot about the YAMAHA 2-TRAC still has the fastest time

Great bike, but get that guy a compass :D

I've had my eye on the 2-Trac for a few years now and want one. If you want one, then email' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> and tell them to put it into production so we can buy it on the showroom floor :)

• irondude

Posted January 07, 2004 - 08:38 PM

Good coverage at and
Sounds like this last stage was hell. Lots of bikes riding thru the night crossing 80 miles of non-stop 75' sand dunes!
Can you imagine going up and down 300 sand dunes on a 400lb dirt bike at night after riding 300 miles? Insane.
Roesler got lost-Harden looks fat-but he's doin great!

• irondude

Posted January 08, 2004 - 09:49 AM

Harden is in 6th place!
Caldecott is out.
They are all in the middle of a sandstorm right now....

• stonewall

Posted January 08, 2004 - 11:43 AM

I would say Harden is doing ok for a backup rider. :) :D That 6th place finish puts him into 9th overall!! Krause is now 20th overall with LR sitting in 24th. :D

• sunnymex

Posted January 10, 2004 - 12:06 PM

Why would they be running 13/65 gearing? That does not make much sense to me.

• qadsan

Posted January 10, 2004 - 03:00 PM

Why would they be running 13/65 gearing? That does not make much sense to me.

Sunnymex, it was just a joke :)

• scorch

Posted January 10, 2004 - 05:39 PM

If you cannot navigate well, and you have lousy luck you will not do well in the paris dakar. No matter what bike you are on.

• irondude

Posted January 10, 2004 - 08:09 PM

They run 16-45 gearing. And that is no joke! If a BRP could pull that-they would be up there in the 120+ mph range...

I heard Scott Harden crashed hard and broke his leg :) - he was really doing well. It'll be interesting to see if Krause turns it up a bit. For sure Roesler will. :D

Paris Dakar is the greatest expression of mankind.

Posted January 11, 2004 - 08:53 PM

My favorite part so far was on today, and it doesn't even involve a BRP!

A French driven car got stuck in some sand and when the helpful bystanders helped push, one of them accidentally hit the engine fire extinguisher button :D. Dry-chem wafting from under the hood and a dead engine :D!

Watching that smelly, cheese eating surrender monkey get out of the car to lift the hood while swearing in French :D made my day :).

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 1 reply

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.