Can anyone recommend a comfortable seat?

15 replies to this topic
  • Disco

Posted January 03, 2004 - 04:33 PM

I'd like to replace that "seat" Yamaha calls their saddle on my WR. I havent seen a post on these for the past few years and thought I would ask some you vets out there who might have some experience replacing their seats.

I've heard of names like SDG (consensus=hard), Guts Racing (consensus=comfortable), One Industries (consensus=??).

Please help- I have a hard time sitting when I get to work after a long ride over the weekend!!!

• MN_Kevin

Posted January 04, 2004 - 03:49 AM

http://www.gutsracin...s/yamahapg.html

• Bill

Posted January 04, 2004 - 04:35 AM

I have the guts foam. I was concerned about bottoming my butt on the seat pan when trail riding but, hasn't happned yet :)

Bill

• Woodzi

Posted January 04, 2004 - 06:48 AM

The SDG tall seat is very comfy. The regular one is a bit hard, but not bad.

• HighPlainsWR

Posted January 04, 2004 - 07:17 AM

Disco. Iv'e ridden many CO/UT 100 mile days, had three different set ups on different WRs, and Guts Racing is by far the most comfortable. If you've got the height, go with the Guts tall/soft combo. If you got game ($), get non-slip material on the top of the saddle for those straight up CO/UT hill climbs. Otherwise the stock WR450 saddle is like riding a Brillo Pad all day. Speaking of game ($), things may have changed at Guts. But when I ordered my Guts setup (March 03') you needed a YZ base (stock), and thus a YZ tank (IMS) too since Guts then only catered to YZ riders. Never regretted either.....

• timvv51

Posted January 04, 2004 - 07:24 AM

My two cents. Guts Racing. Tall foam and new seat cover went right on an 03WR seat pan. Love it. Tim

• Burnrider

Posted January 04, 2004 - 07:54 AM

At 5'10" the guts tall with medium foam worked well. I weigh 170. Foam selection will depend on your weight and preference for a firm vs. soft seat.

• Jim_bo

Posted January 04, 2004 - 08:10 AM

I'd love to have a more comfortable seat also, but I find the WR too be too tall already... I am concerned about the tall foam. How much height does it add??

Jimbo

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sabin

Posted January 04, 2004 - 11:28 AM

I have guts tall on my wr426 and it is great!!!

• r1superstar

Posted January 04, 2004 - 02:11 PM

Great thread. My seat is rock hard as well. I hardly ever sit when I ride but when I do; it freekin hurts. Thanks for the valuable info fellas.

• ETP

Posted January 04, 2004 - 02:52 PM

Ditto on the Guts tall firm foam seat. No more monkey butt, however, it does raise the bike. Does anyone know of a good lowering kit for the 450's yet?

• Disco

Posted January 04, 2004 - 08:01 PM

Good information everyone, sounds like the Guts tall seat is the way to go. :)

I appreciate your feedback, and hope others can use this as well.

Dan

• wrooster

Posted January 04, 2004 - 09:20 PM

another THUMBS-UP for GUTS!!!

see also
http://www.thumperta...0&Number=629961
and
http://www.thumperta...0&Number=800811
and
http://www.thumperta...0&Number=616612

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• scott_h

Posted January 05, 2004 - 12:19 AM

I have tried the following seat foams and here’s how I rank them:

#1 - Factory Effex stock height/soft
#2 - Guts racing stock height/soft
#3 - SDG stock height (optional foam firmness was not provided)

I do a lot of long distance dual sport rides and trail rides as well as compete in D37 enduros and desert events. I have found the Factory FX foam to be slightly more soft and comfortable than Guts. The SDG foam felt like the same slab of cement as the stock YZ foam. I’m 5’10”, 165lbs and the taller seat options didn’t really appeal to me with my 32” inseam.

• Disco

Posted January 05, 2004 - 04:14 PM

Scott, I went to Factoryeffect.com and they offer a number of different covers. Which one did you think was best?

• scott_h

Posted January 05, 2004 - 09:34 PM

I'm still running the SDG full gripper seat cover on my 99 WR (primary race bike) and an old Ceet half gripper on my 98 (mostly dual sport use). I'm running 3.4 gallon IMS fuel tanks and YZ seats on both of my WRs, so I can't speak to OEM WR tank/seat pan configurations. I do like the full grip covers the best - easier to ride out unexpected high speed big hits and still maintain control of the bike. I don't wear knee braces (yet), so I don't have the issue of braces eating up seat covers to deal with. I looked at the Factory FX covers on the MX South web site (factoryeffex.com took too long to load for my slow dial up connection). If it were my money, I'd go with the basic gripper cover. They had them on sale for 44.95 which is about 17 bucks cheaper than the fancy dual compound grip covers and $27 cheaper than the heavy duty "B3" cover. I'm sure my SDG and Ceet covers don't have the triple stitching the B3 boasts, but I haven't had any problems with these covers coming apart on me. That’s my 2¢…

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.