Who's got the best fork seals?

3 replies to this topic
  • RichB

Posted December 26, 2001 - 01:13 PM

Fellas,

I know the time is getting near for at least 1 seal of mine to go south. Was wondering if anyone knows of a better seal than the stock one you can pick up at the local Yamie shop? When I say better I'm talking from the stiction standpoint.

When I sent my KX suspension off a couple of years ago supposedly Factory Connection installed "updated" KYB seals.

Thanks!

• YZ426guy

Posted December 26, 2001 - 02:02 PM

I have always had the best luck going to the local cash dumpster (the Yamaha dealer) and ordering the stock Yamaha part. If KYB or any other fork manufacturer makes an updated seal, it's probably good but I never heard of it.
One thing is for sure, stay away from the "Lifetime fork seals" that you can buy out of many magazines and catalogs including Dennis Kirk. The only thing guaranteed about them is their inevitable FAILURE. Sure you get a free replacement, but what a hassle to dig into your boingers again.

2001 YZ426 Scott steering damper, Dubach hot start, Pro Tapers, FRS communications system, and a whole other bunch of money magnets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichB

Posted December 26, 2001 - 02:20 PM

YZguy,

I know about those lifetime seals, ever set I've seen put into anything failed (and usually sooner than later).

• mxcowboy

Posted December 26, 2001 - 03:43 PM

I use stock and cut the springs inside each seal down to make them a little tighter which works good for about 8 months now and counting. Have not even cleaned them after each ride.

I'm probably going to go out in the garage now and all my fork oil will be on the floor since I said something about it...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.