Heated grips on ac current?

10 replies to this topic
  • exracer2

Posted November 26, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Can i run heated grips on ac current or do I need to switch to dc ? I have an 01 wr 426. Thanks exracer2.

• Chas_M

Posted November 27, 2013 - 07:02 AM

AC works just fine for heated grips.  I normally hook up my heated grips to the headlight 'hot' lead.  This way the grips have AC available with the on/off toggle switch whenever the engine is running.

• woods-rider

Posted November 27, 2013 - 10:25 AM

AC works just fine for heated grips.  I normally hook up my heated grips to the headlight 'hot' lead.  This way the grips have AC available with the on/off toggle switch whenever the engine is running.

That's a good idea. Do you still have the headlight on the bike, and if so, what happens when you turn the grip switch on?

• Chas_M

Posted November 28, 2013 - 07:04 AM

Since the grip switch is connected to the hot AC lead, the headlight and heated grips both work independently of each other.  On my bikes when both grips and lights are turned on they both function normally while riding, however at lower idle rpm the headlight is not as bright.

• exracer2

Posted November 29, 2013 - 04:16 AM

Any brand better than others? What ones are you guys using? Exracer2

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:22 AM

I and many others prefer Symtec grip heaters.  Symtec made the grip heaters for Dual Star which had a large following, however Dual Star is now apparently out of business.

• woods-rider

Posted December 02, 2013 - 08:38 AM

I have the rockymountain Tusk brand and they are great. It's just a re-branded item made by some other company, but they are only like $20.

• jcbikes

Posted December 03, 2013 - 06:33 AM

Thinking about the Tusk kit for my 2002 wr426 that is AC. Where is the hot AC lead located that you guys talked about, that you tapped into? I want the headlight and heater to work separately but would also want them to work at the same time too. any pics?

thanks guys.

JC

• jcbikes

Posted December 07, 2013 - 08:10 AM

bump

• Chas_M

Posted December 07, 2013 - 09:16 AM

What I do is to splice into the hot lead going to the headlight switch.  That way the lights and hot grips may be operated independantly. 

• jcbikes

Posted December 08, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thanks Chas for the info.

JC

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.