WR426...starts..runs good....dies, won't restart

7 replies to this topic
  • Bryce_Senff

Posted January 03, 2004 - 01:04 PM

My 426 ran great for 2 years but now after riding bike for a while if I come to a stop, I get a soft "pop" and bike stops running. Won't kick over...have to compression start it. Clean the carb and the above scenario starts over again. Any suggestion other than E-start? Bike used to relite with a light kick-no hot start.
TIA,
Bryce
01 wr426 obeln, 168 main, 48 pilot, 100maj, BK mod, lid off, YZ timing, grey wire.

• gfergtr74

Posted January 03, 2004 - 01:21 PM

Compression maybe? I had an old Elsinor that would do that same thing. Turned out the cylinder was warped. Hope this is simpler than that.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 03, 2004 - 02:02 PM

Sounds like some dirt floating around in your fuel system. Try cleaning all the passages in you carb and installing a fuel filter. Make sure you don't have a ignition problem or just a bad spark plug..just a guess..Good luck

• gfergtr74

Posted January 03, 2004 - 02:09 PM

Good point. Good be a bad coil. Heating up and expanding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 04, 2004 - 05:47 AM

New spark plug and adjust the idle higher. If it still stalls check your clutch. Clutch may be worn out so it stalls in gear but not in neutral. :)

• cmore

Posted January 04, 2004 - 07:41 AM

What about the PAJ, does the bike stay running after you have restarted it? :)

• Bryce_Senff

Posted January 04, 2004 - 02:25 PM

What about the PAJ, does the bike stay running after you have restarted it? :D

Yes bike will run after I have compression started it, I have taken the carb out for a thorough cleaning...hope this helps. I don't think it is electrical, Think it has to do with pilot jet setting...after reading manual, I may have not set pilot screw as per manual. It says to turn fully in before pilot jet removal and to install pilot jet, then turn out pilot screw. I'll finish cleaning the carb and hopefully this will do the trick. If not I'll take it down to BBR and let them sort it out, maybe let them install a 450 cam with auto decomp.
Thanks for all suggestions. Was hoping for a little more snow so I could have some fun with the 426 :)
Thanks again,
Bryce

• Bryce_Senff

Posted January 04, 2004 - 02:30 PM

Sounds like some dirt floating around in your fuel system. Try cleaning all the passages in you carb and installing a fuel filter. Make sure you don't have a ignition problem or just a bad spark plug..just a guess..Good luck

Will install a filter and plug an per your suggestion...will also use compressed air to blow out passages as well....something I have not done before :)
Thanks,
Bryce

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.