Building a 2013 WR450F

17 replies to this topic
  • hollywood_s

Posted November 25, 2013 - 11:09 PM

I've managed to come into a pretty cool project. As a part of my University, we build Formula SAE cars each year to compete. This year our car borrowed the power train from a 2013 WR450F, leaving the chassis behind sans motor. I purchased the chassis to help fund the team and I am planning on rebuilding it. I was hoping to turn it mostly into a YZ style bike, but upon further investigation, that doesn't really make sense. 

My biggest issue is finding a motor. The team also offered to sell me the motor from the 2012 car, which used a 2011 WR450F motor. Meaning it was carbureted. I really want to return this bike to full 2013 specs, so I'm wondering if I can use the main case, cylinder and head from the 2011 with just the EFI equipment bolted on. 

I know 2012 is where the big changes occurred to the engine management, but I'm unsure as to whether or not the actual engine itself received any redesign. 

Any input would be appreciated and I'll be happy to share some pictures of the progress later this week!

• vlxjim

Posted November 26, 2013 - 01:15 PM

I don't know what you paid for that chassis but, I would part it out. You could sell the forks, shock, frame, swing arm, brakes, bars, leavers, seat, plastics, computer, and sub systems and get a new or great used bike. Trying to get a good motor for it is going to be a hard. The motor for the 2012-14 is different that the others. Not only is it FI but the head and cases are different. The mounts on the motor at the rear of the head are not the same.

Did they just pull the motor? Or did they get the fuel pump, wiring, radiators, coil, ect?

You could look at a 2009 YZ450F or a 2009-2013 WR250F that the frame is built for. You would need to get the carb and the subsystem that go with it. I'm not even sure if the air box would mach up. Oh and a WR250F fuel tank.

But if your not putting in a 2012-2014 WR motor I would still part it out.

If this is a brand new bike these parts would be new pull offs and you could get top dollar for them. You could get $700+ just for the forks.  Or wait, I once saw a 2012 WR450F motor new pull off for $3500. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 26, 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'd like to hear what the team does to the 2013 engine to maximize its output. Specifically, what they do to the head porting and the camshafts.

• hollywood_s

Posted November 26, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I don't know what you paid for that chassis but, I would part it out. You could sell the forks, shock, frame, swing arm, brakes, bars, leavers, seat, plastics, computer, and sub systems and get a new or great used bike. Trying to get a good motor for it is going to be a hard. The motor for the 2012-14 is different that the others. Not only is it FI but the head and cases are different. The mounts on the motor at the rear of the head are not the same.

Did they just pull the motor? Or did they get the fuel pump, wiring, radiators, coil, ect?

You could look at a 2009 YZ450F or a 2009-2013 WR250F that the frame is built for. You would need to get the carb and the subsystem that go with it. I'm not even sure if the air box would mach up. Oh and a WR250F fuel tank.

But if your not putting in a 2012-2014 WR motor I would still part it out.

If this is a brand new bike these parts would be new pull offs and you could get top dollar for them. You could get $700+ just for the forks.  Or wait, I once saw a 2012 WR450F motor new pull off for $3500. 

I really would much rather rebuild it. We have built a wiring harness for the car itself and I believe we design a custom radiator. The wiring, fuel tank, and rads were pulled off the bike only for dyno tuning, but they are part of my purchase so they will be put back on the bike. Even if I have to buy a full brand new motor, if it comes anywhere near $7000 to get a motor in it, I'm still ahead of the game as far as sticker price goes. The team couldn't locate one at the time, hence the purchase of the bike.

I'd like to hear what the team does to the 2013 engine to maximize its output. Specifically, what they do to the head porting and the camshafts.

We write our own fuel maps I believe. The internals stay stock, but we are regulated to a 20mm restrictor plate so we're more concerned with the gear ratios. We use considerably smaller tires, and roughly the same size sprocket. The entire chassis is a carbon fibre monocoque, which is essentially aluminum honeycomb sandwiched between two sets of carbon overlay. It's insanely strong for its weight. 

If anyone knows of a place that would be able to provide me with a motor that would be fantastic. Whether brand new or requiring a rebuild. I'm not in a hurry to get this thing back together, all my projects sit idle during the school year and go full out during the summer. 

• vlxjim

Posted November 26, 2013 - 11:43 PM

You know that a lot of us here paid only $6-7000 for the whole bike new.

Edited by vlxjim, November 26, 2013 - 11:45 PM.

• hollywood_s

Posted November 27, 2013 - 12:51 AM

You know that a lot of us here paid only $6-7000 for the whole bike new.

Should probably mention I'm in Canada, where the sticker price is about $10'000 flat for a 2013

• Monk

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:42 AM

Buy a YZ 250 motor, Put a ESR 345 kit on it with a WR gear set and shoe horn it into the frame..... Now that would be cool!!!!

Or sell it too me, I'll give you $2200 cash for it!

Edited by originalmonk, November 27, 2013 - 01:45 AM.

• Monk

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:46 AM

You can buy that bike all day in Alberta for $7k plus tax....

• hollywood_s

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:51 AM

You can buy that bike all day in Alberta for $7k plus tax....

I have a receipt for just over 9. And apparently that was a deal because we're a school project. I don't really imagine someone would "hustle" a sponsor-funded school program. And any site I look at for a 0 hour, 2013 WR450F, brand new, from a dealership, is $8'999 plus taxes and whatnot. So that makes total sense to me. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:56 AM

I have a receipt for just over 9. And apparently that was a deal because we're a school project. I don't really imagine someone would "hustle" a sponsor-funded school program. And any site I look at for a 0 hour, 2013 WR450F, brand new, from a dealership, is $8'999 plus taxes and whatnot. So that makes total sense to me.

You would think not but unfortunately that's not the way life works..... You know how much your school pays for stuff, almost twice what you would pay for!

As for bikes, looking at websites isn't buying.... I walk into any dealer with my CC or cash and I'm getting a good deal....

• hollywood_s

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:59 AM

You would think not but unfortunately that's not the way life works..... You know how much your school pays for stuff, almost twice what you would pay for!

As for bikes, looking at websites isn't buying.... I walk into any dealer with my CC or cash and I'm getting a good deal....

I just want a running bike again, realisitcally, if I can get a motor in it for $4000 I'll be thrilled. I just need to either find one or build one. 

• JDLowrance

Posted November 27, 2013 - 05:17 AM

Put a big bore two stroke engine in that chassis (CR500 or KX500). It'd be easier than trying to stuff a 2011 WR motor in there and it be a whole lot cheaper and you'd have something special.

Or as vixjim suggested, part the rest out.

Edited by JDLowrance, November 27, 2013 - 05:18 AM.

• vlxjim

Posted November 27, 2013 - 07:39 AM

I walked into the dealer and was told $9500 + $750 for prep and delivery + tax at 10%. I walked out paying $6700 out the door. There are still new 2012's that the dealers are selling. Should be the same for a 2013 by now. 

Also I see almost all motors for sale without intake (FI).  

• hollywood_s

Posted November 29, 2013 - 12:10 AM

Excellent, now I'm fully aware of the price of this bike. However, I still don't know where to locate a motor. As long as I can track down the most of it, the small things can be purchased separately.

• cadesdad

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:52 AM

I have a 08 yz450f, and ever since the 12 wr450 came out and they said it was the same frame as the 12 yz250f, I have wanted to swap my motor into a 12 yz250f frame. 

It has been noted on here that many after market exhausts for the 12+ wr450 say 06-09 yz450f right on the box.  I think the bottom motor mounts would line up, just the head mounts would need to be welded onto the back of the head. No problem for someone with the right skills.  The air boot could be pulled from the same machine that the carb was sourced from and adapted to the air box. 

A few years back, I came very close to buying a 07 wr450 that had a 08 yz250f frame. The seller had purchased a frame on ebay.  He was expecting to have to fab new motor mounts but was surprised to discover that everything lined up perfectly except for the head stay, which he made. Every thing else from the wr450 fit with little trouble.  I think you should go for it!  07-11 wr450 or 06-09 yz450

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Buy a YZ 250 motor, Put a ESR 345 kit on it with a WR gear set and shoe horn it into the frame..... Now that would be cool!!!!

Don't bother. My friend bought a 2012 YZ250F, put a big bore/stroke kit on it (310cc) and all the off road goodies. His bike is a tad lighter than mine (10 pounds) so he claims, but mine roosts his.

I'd rather put a WR450F engine in a YZ250F frame. But that is essentially what a WR450F is in the first place.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 30, 2013 - 11:28 AM.

• hollywood_s

Posted December 03, 2013 - 10:17 PM

So I went and picked up the title today as a formality. I was wrong, it's a 2014. So basically, what I need is to track down a 2012+ engine. I would prefer one that requires a rebuild, which is essentially why I bought this thing, to give me a project. 

Also, without full disclosure, I am quite pleased with the price I paid. Being essentially a full bike with wiring, ECU, display, everything minus the actual engine and exhaust. Which is a cloud with silver lining, I was planing on getting an FMF pipe anyway. 

• hollywood_s

Posted December 06, 2013 - 02:16 PM

Anyone know where to find a 2012+ motor?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.