Shim job problems

2 replies to this topic

Posted November 25, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Ok so I shimmed the valves today on my 02 426. It was running perfectly fine before hand with just a little valve noise. Everything went fine...or so I thought. Put it all back together and it took about 20 kicks to get her to fire up. She wouldn't idle to save my life even once it was warmed up. It was doing none of this before the shim job. Maybe I am off by a tooth? I'm not sure...any ideas?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted November 26, 2013 - 06:03 AM

Before I even finished the paragraph I said "He somehow mis-indexed the engine".....The bummer being that you need to go back in there. I'd place EXTREMELY high odds that the timing is messed up.

• bobpara

Posted November 26, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hard starting is also a sign of bad valve clearance....the thing you set out to fix in the first place. that may need a second review in your mind also

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.