Handwarmer 2012 wr 450

7 replies to this topic
  • yukondood

Posted November 24, 2013 - 02:29 PM

I am installing some hand warmers on my 12 wr 450.  HAd a set on my 08 wr for winter riding and wired straight to the battery.  Would like to wire in to the circuit somehow so they are not on when bike is not running.

Any suggestions on where to tap in for this accessory?

Thanks

• thumper_calgary

Posted November 25, 2013 - 07:23 PM

you need a solenoid wired into a circuit that's hot only with the key on. I doubt there's one that you can tap that actually has the capacity to supply 35w you'd need for the grip heaters. my 03 wouldn't have the stator output either. maybe you're 2012 is different.

• woods-rider

Posted November 26, 2013 - 12:20 PM

you need a solenoid wired into a circuit that's hot only with the key on. I doubt there's one that you can tap that actually has the capacity to supply 35w you'd need for the grip heaters. my 03 wouldn't have the stator output either. maybe you're 2012 is different.

Yeah, if you want to make it only able to come on with the engine then you need a relay. Your bike has the juice to do it just fine (I had them on my 2006 and now my 2012). I also wanted them to turn off if the motor was off, but finding a relay rugged enough to handle being on a dirtbike and not be huge and really expensive is hard to find. I wasn't able to find anything that fit my needs and budget so mine is just straight to the battery. If you find a good relay post up what you got and how it holds up to the abuse.

• William1

Posted November 26, 2013 - 12:28 PM

I'll add... consider converting over to floating ground stator setup, modifying the headlight to be on DC.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted November 26, 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'll add... consider converting over to floating ground stator setup, modifying the headlight to be on DC.

I did that on my 2006, but I don't think it's necessary for the 12+.

• funt

Posted November 26, 2013 - 04:39 PM

There's a yellow wire with a black stripe that goes from the ecu to the headlight relay.  Could you hook the positive to the battery and the ground to the y/b wire?  I think it would work.  I'm no expert though.  They would stay on if the bike stalled though, just like the headlight.  If you want to start it back up with the electric start, you might have to turn the ignition off and back on again, depending on how strong the battery is.

Edited by funt, November 27, 2013 - 08:34 AM.

• thumper_calgary

Posted December 01, 2013 - 05:02 AM

Yeah, if you want to make it only able to come on with the engine then you need a relay. Your bike has the juice to do it just fine (I had them on my 2006 and now my 2012). I also wanted them to turn off if the motor was off, but finding a relay rugged enough to handle being on a dirtbike and not be huge and really expensive is hard to find. I wasn't able to find anything that fit my needs and budget so mine is just straight to the battery. If you find a good relay post up what you got and how it holds up to the abuse.

I picked my relay up at an electronics shop. Never had any durability problems. I suppose it's always an issue. I don't remember how much it cost, just that it worked perfectly

• firejosh

Posted December 29, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Not to sure the best way to add heated grips to my 12 wr. Anymore specific advice?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.