May switch to a blue thumper

7 replies to this topic
  • Racerjoey1

Posted January 02, 2004 - 11:18 PM

I found a 1998 WR400 that is street legal for $2400. Are there any problems with that bike? I am stepping up from a KDX200. What is the approx. hp of this 400, about 38hp or so?

Thanks,
Joey

• tp3dxf

Posted January 02, 2004 - 11:24 PM

Hp is more like 43 the KDX is a good bike. But thumper power is like a tractor. I would keep the KDX and get the 400 you would have a nice stable if you could pull that off.

• Sylvain

Posted January 03, 2004 - 08:03 AM

Get the WR, but keep the KDX.

You will always have the possibility to feel the new joy of going from a good dirt bike to an insane dirt eater. :)

Best wishes for 2004

• Racerjoey1

Posted January 03, 2004 - 11:53 AM

Well, that would be cool, but it can only be one or the other.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CraZcanucK

Posted January 03, 2004 - 12:20 PM

Go thumper, you'll never go back. The new 4 strokes rev almost like a 2 stroke, but you get the tractor pull all the way from bottom to top. Rather than hitting at the top, they pulverize you everywhere. Being a less experienced rider myself, the "everywhere has powerband" has helpded me get out of a lot of sticky situations. And the slightly better (WR450 is a thirsty bike, although my right wrist is probably to blame) fuel mileage will help being a dual sport. I've rode my WR then 2003 CR250, followed by 2003 KX 250, and each time I get back onto my thumper, the lack of mind numbing vibration is such a relief.

Maybe I just have thumper on the brain, I just love the torque and how the bike tries to pull your arms out of their sockets any time you twist the throttle. :)

• gfergtr74

Posted January 03, 2004 - 12:27 PM

Have to agree. After riding two strokes all my life after the first ride on a YZ450 I was sold. Spent the next few months looking and finally found one. I truly doubt that I will ever buy another two stroke in my life.

• Sylvain

Posted January 03, 2004 - 01:16 PM

THUMP... THUMP...THUMP... THUMP...THUMP... THUMP...THUMP... THUMP...THUMP... THUMP...

Blue color is the best... :)

• gearom

Posted January 04, 2004 - 06:23 PM

Buy another Honda; Yamaha doesn't support the WR450 and teaches dealers to ignore and lie about problems with their bikes.

Again, flame away, but its the truth....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.