Best pipe for WR450

45 replies to this topic
  • RockerYZWR

Posted October 29, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Also, adding power and tuning are not necessarily two different things. Adding power is function of tuning, like maximizing fuel economy or softening throttle response.

• stevethe

Posted October 30, 2014 - 06:17 AM

No, I'm fascinated. In fact, I'll be throwing in an '06 YZ exhaust cam the next time I have the valve cover off. I can't speak to the reliability of it, but I'm sure it'll be plenty reliable - it's not a radical mod and plenty of people do it. Regarding the Megabomb, its power range will not be a problem for you at 55 mph, which is a function of RPM and gear anyway, but the pipe makes good power everywhere, but the gains compared to your stock pipe will likely be marginal, if any.

You may or may not have to kick start especially when cold. The decompression pin is different.

If it was me I would put the GYTR cams meant for the new fuel injected bikes in it.

Edited by stevethe, October 30, 2014 - 07:47 AM.

• revelc

Posted October 30, 2014 - 08:02 AM

You may or may not have to kick start especially when cold. The decompression pin is different.

If it was me I would put the GYTR cams meant for the new fuel injected bikes in it.

Well I read that someone didn't notice a difference over stock cams with the GYTR bump sticks. I'd hate to waste $600 on nothing.

Edited for potato

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen
2012 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

Edited by revelc, October 30, 2014 - 05:12 PM.

• GP1K

Posted October 30, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Sorry (not sorry) for bringing up old thread.

I ride on single track as well as commute on my bike.

I'd like a little more power out of it for the road so I can change gearing without sacrificing too much.

Does the Powerbomb give any gains over the stock header?

Does the Megabomb move the power too low in the RPM range to be usable above 55mph?

Jesus I might regret the next question but.... Would the YZ exhaust cam be a better option or would it decrease reliability?

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

The stock header already is a PowerBomb pretty much. A MegaBomb might give you a little more oomph, but not worth it, IMO. FMF Q4 gives more power than stock across the whole rev range, and sounds good without being overly loud.

You should try some different FI maps. You can change the power delivery characteristics of the motor quite a bit just with different maps. YZ cams are not the answer.

• GP1K

Posted October 30, 2014 - 08:10 AM

No, I'm fascinated. In fact, I'll be throwing in an '06 YZ exhaust cam the next time I have the valve cover off. I can't speak to the reliability of it, but I'm sure it'll be plenty reliable - it's not a radical mod and plenty of people do it. Regarding the Megabomb, its power range will not be a problem for you at 55 mph, which is a function of RPM and gear anyway, but the pipe makes good power everywhere, but the gains compared to your stock pipe will likely be marginal, if any.

One person is 'plenty'? Not sure if being sarcastic, of you're off your 'rocker'? (see what I did there)

• stevethe

Posted October 30, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Well I read that someone didn't notice a difference over stock cams with the GYTR bump sticks. I'd hate to Easter $600 on nothing.
2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Well yes I wouldn't expect too much from the GYTR cams. They should be close to YZ cams with the right decompression pin. If you want more of a hotter cam the Hot cams should work.

But first as GP1K mentions one should play with the programmer.

• revelc

Posted October 30, 2014 - 03:22 PM

Well yes I wouldn't expect too much from the GYTR cams. They should be close to YZ cams with the right decompression pin. If you want more of a hotter cam the Hot cams should work.

Currently running the MX map and still I'd like a little more power between 55-70 MPH.

I can get the front wheel up at highway speeds but I'd like to be able to pull back less. My arms get tired pretty quick pulling so hard on it.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• stevethe

Posted October 30, 2014 - 03:56 PM

Currently running the MX map and still I'd like a little more power between 55-70 MPH.

I can get the front wheel up at highway speeds but I'd like to be able to pull back less. My arms get tired pretty quick pulling so hard on it.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

It looks like $476. for GYTR cams.

Fits '12-'13 WR450F
Item: 1DX-E21F0-V0-00
MSRP: $595.95
Our Price: $476.76
Usually Ships In:
3 to 5 Business Days.

• RockerYZWR

Posted October 30, 2014 - 04:20 PM

One person is 'plenty'? Not sure if being sarcastic, of you're off your 'rocker'? (see what I did there)

I see what you did there, nice...nah, I figure 'plenty reliable' was safe to say because it's vague and completely relative. Reliable as the exhaust cam Mr. Yamaha designed just for my bike? Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on how I ride and maintain my bike. If I buzz around everywhere at 10,080 rpm, I expect I'll have to do a lot more to maintain a healthy valvetrain than if I baby it around at 3-4000 all the time. Cam for cam, with identical running histories, I'm sure the YZ cam is a little harder on its buckets and requires more frequent adjustments. That's the trade off.
...And by 'reliable,' I mean that component not being a detractor to the longevity or long-term performance of the engine or creating significantly more work to keep running properly...reliability as the absence of mechanical failure.

• RockerYZWR

Posted October 30, 2014 - 04:29 PM

Fair enough. I kick start 95% of the time anyway, mainly using the button if I stall in the rocks, somewhere precarious, or when I'm super tired. By then the motor's all warmed up anyway. And more research to do on my end, but I remember reading about taking a few .001's or something off the pin to help e-start work.

For revelc, I was being slightly facetious, only because this was such a sore spot/source of entertainment a couple of months ago. But I'm all for trying different different things to achieve objectives. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • revelc

Posted October 30, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Fair enough. I kick start 95% of the time anyway, mainly using the button if I stall in the rocks, somewhere precarious, or when I'm super tired. By then the motor's all warmed up anyway. And more research to do on my end, but I remember reading about taking a few .001's or something off the pin to help e-start work.

For revelc, I was being slightly facetious, only because this was such a sore spot/source of entertainment a couple of months ago. But I'm all for trying different different things to achieve objectives. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

I knew someone would comment at some point. Haha
I'm surprised MLCG didn't show up and school me on cams.

I'm not going to give up e-start. I won't bullshit anyone here. I push my limits on the local single track loop. I fall, stall, and lock up my rear wheel on accident. When I'm dog tired from picking the bike up or flying downhill with a stalled engine it saves me time and energy.

I would opt for the GYTR cams if more people could give positive feedback on them. It's about the same price as a high end slip on pipe.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Edited by revelc, October 30, 2014 - 05:29 PM.

• GP1K

Posted October 31, 2014 - 11:18 AM

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Use the clutch to get it up or stand and bounce it up then. That bike has plenty of power to wheelie as is. I could bounce my DRZ 400SM up in 4th (stock 15/41 gearing) at highway speeds no problem, and it weighs like 50 lbs more and  has 15-20 HP less than a WR. Sorry but it's not a horsepower thing, it's a technique thing.

• GP1K

Posted October 31, 2014 - 11:23 AM

I knew someone would comment at some point. Haha
I'm surprised MLCG didn't show up and school me on cams.

I'm not going to give up e-start. I won't bullshit anyone here. I push my limits on the local single track loop. I fall, stall, and lock up my rear wheel on accident. When I'm dog tired from picking the bike up or flying downhill with a stalled engine it saves me time and energy.

I would opt for the GYTR cams if more people could give positive feedback on them. It's about the same price as a high end slip on pipe.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

If you're still running the stock exhaust, you won't get the full benefit of those cams anyway. You should definitely do the exhaust & FI mapping first, then if you're still not happy with that, you could look at cams.

I know I said FMF Q4 before, but if you really want more power, you could go with a 4.1 instead and run the quiet insert when offroad and leave it out for SM duty.

• revelc

Posted October 31, 2014 - 01:20 PM

If you're still running the stock exhaust, you won't get the full benefit of those cams anyway. You should definitely do the exhaust & FI mapping first, then if you're still not happy with that, you could look at cams.

I know I said FMF Q4 before, but if you really want more power, you could go with a 4.1 instead and run the quiet insert when offroad and leave it out for SM duty.

Already have Q4 on it and running aggressive map.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 31, 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hot cams YZ cams are much peakier than the OEM YZ cams

I've tried them both

In fact, I have a set of YZ-for-WR hotcams I am taking out of my WR.

They have about 5 rides on them. I will sell them cheap.

• stevethe

Posted October 31, 2014 - 02:10 PM

I've tried them both

Im wondering if the GYTR cams for the new bikes might be less peaky and the pin right for the 07-11's.

• revelc

Posted October 31, 2014 - 03:15 PM

I've tried them both

PM sent.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• revelc

Posted October 31, 2014 - 03:32 PM

Use the clutch to get it up or stand and bounce it up then. That bike has plenty of power to wheelie as is. I could bounce my DRZ 400SM up in 4th (stock 15/41 gearing) at highway speeds no problem, and it weighs like 50 lbs more and has 15-20 HP less than a WR. Sorry but it's not a horsepower thing, it's a technique thing.

I don't "get" slipping the clutch. I've tried it after reading online and it doesn't happen for me. I don't have any riders around here to show me how to do it in person.

I pull it up in 5th with the stock gears now and I weigh 210. It does have plenty of power. But why deny me my wish of having more?

It's not like I haven't uncorked or played with the played with the programmer yet. Cams would be the next step right? Or would you say save up for the GYTR head?

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Edited by revelc, October 31, 2014 - 03:34 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 31, 2014 - 04:15 PM

You are saying you can lift the front wheel in 5th gear without using the clutch to 'pop' it up?

I don't believe it.

• Jonesy11

Posted October 31, 2014 - 04:30 PM

I have the fmf mega bomb with the powercore gytr slip on. And I love it

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.