WR 450 Jet sizes

10 replies to this topic
  • Pfrimweiser

Posted November 19, 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm trying to get my bike started to try some winter riding. I have read everywhere that if it won't start in the cold then try to get a larger starting jet. I have searched around on websites and can't find anything relating to a "starting jet". I have found the kits but they don't say sizes. Is there anywhere to find sizes or do they go by a different name when looking at kits and on websites? 

• William1

Posted November 19, 2013 - 05:13 PM

On many OEM parts lists, it is item #21

Here is one from a 2006 WR450F:

JET(#65)  STD
3TJ-1494F-13-00

5242_carburetor.gif

Sizes typically start at a #60 jet and I have seen as large as a #80

If your bike will not cold start and idle on choke with whatever is currently in it, go up about three or more sizes.

Jets are avaialbe from places like Sudoco, JetsRUS or a good dealer.

• Pfrimweiser

Posted November 19, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the response. I am looking at a Dyno jet kit from rockymountain. If I order the kit would it probably include this one. I already have stuff I'm ordering from these guys. If not I will probably go to one of the sites you suggested.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the response. I am looking at a Dyno jet kit from rockymountain. If I order the kit would it probably include this one. I already have stuff I'm ordering from these guys. If not I will probably go to one of the sites you suggested.

No it does not.

Go JD Jets, not dynojet.

Dyno jet jets are cheap.

Any honda/yamaha/suzuki/kawasaki dealer can get you that jet.

Or... www.sudco.com

www.jetsrus.com

• Pfrimweiser

Posted November 19, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thank you. I guess I will head to my local dealer during lunch tomorrow and see what they can get me. I got to get my rad guards anyways. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pfrimweiser

Posted November 20, 2013 - 07:24 PM

So once I put in a bigger starter jet for the winter, am I going to need to switch it out during the hot summer?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 20, 2013 - 09:25 PM

So once I put in a bigger starter jet for the winter, am I going to need to switch it out during the hot summer?

Probably not. 

All it does is give you a richer mixture by about 5%. 

You can simulate the same thing, almost, by twisting the throttle several times and starting with the hot start engaged.

It all depends on your temp and humidity range. If you go from 70/0 to 0/70 then you might have to adjust your starting procedure, but that's about it.

• Bandit9

Posted November 22, 2013 - 09:16 PM

For sure JD over Dyno.

• Pfrimweiser

Posted November 28, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thank you all for your insight. I just got her put back together with some new jets and she started right up. I appreciate your insight and help. :ride:

• Dakar Dan

Posted December 01, 2013 - 02:41 AM

For changing altitude/ humidity/ temperature conditions, an adjustable air screw (replaces #24 on the parts diagram), allowing you to fine tune idle conditions (rich-lean) slightly for better cold starts.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 01, 2013 - 08:46 AM

For changing altitude/ humidity/ temperature conditions, an adjustable R&D remote FUEL screw (replaces #24 on the parts diagram), allowing you to fine tune idle conditions (rich-lean) slightly for better cold starts.

fixed

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.