One light Clutch? Looks good.....

41 replies to this topic
  • Navaho6

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:41 AM

Swapping half your springs out for springs from a WR 250 is supposed to work pretty well. I'm gonna try it next summer. In the really tight stuff it does matter. for sure.

This is not an ideal solution.  I tried this with YZ250F springs.  It slips under a heavy load.  Reduces your torque and increases wear on the clutch.  I want more torque, not less.  And the slippage cannot be good for clutch life.  Probably makes everything run hotter too.

I have a solution to the stiff clutch on the WR.  It's a more expensive approach but without the negative side effects.  There are two steps you can take.  

Step 1. Add an ASV C6 clutch lever.  It is not advertised as an "easy-pull" lever and does not have multiple cable connection (leverage) points but it has a good sealed bearing at the pivot point which makes the pull easier without altering pull distance.  If you ride open trails, you can stop here.  The best thing about the C6 is the adjustable lever (for reach) and the smooth, slop-free feel in the lever.  Feels almost as good as a hydro-clutch.  1-finger pull all day long in the open.  If you ride ignorantly-tight woods trails, and tend to get arm/hand fatigue, then proceed to step 2.

Step 2: Add a Moose Easy-Pull Clutch System AND a custom clutch cable.  On my 2013 WR, I hooked up the Moose gizmo and then measured the added length that it put in the system.  Requires a 5.25" shorter cable and a smaller cable end (OEM is too wide and grabs inside the Moose housing).  Added length can vary by bike so hook up the Moose gizmo first and then measure before ordering your cable (from Motion Pro or Barnett).  Clutch pull is much lighter than the hydro on my KTM.  Waiting on custom cable.

• woods-rider

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:10 AM

Step 2: Add a Moose Easy-Pull Clutch System AND a custom clutch cable.  On my 2013 WR, I hooked up the Moose gizmo and then measured the added length that it put in the system.  Requires a 5.25" shorter cable and a smaller cable end (OEM is too wide and grabs inside the Moose housing).  Added length can vary by bike so hook up the Moose gizmo first and then measure before ordering your cable (from Motion Pro or Barnett).  Clutch pull is much lighter than the hydro on my KTM.  Waiting on custom cable.

How much farther is the clutch pull than stock for complete disengagement?

Edited by woods-rider, January 02, 2014 - 10:10 AM.

• Navaho6

Posted January 02, 2014 - 08:38 PM

I haven't measured it but it feels just a tad longer when in the easiest of the 3 settings.  I should get my new cable in a couple of weeks.

• woods-rider

Posted January 06, 2014 - 11:56 AM

I haven't measured it but it feels just a tad longer when in the easiest of the 3 settings.  I should get my new cable in a couple of weeks.

Sweet. I just ordered one for myself.

Edited by woods-rider, January 06, 2014 - 12:27 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted January 15, 2014 - 07:16 AM

So I just installed my Moose Easy Pull system and have mixed feelings. I do not want to order a new clutch cable, so I just routed it a bit differently to take up some of the slack, but the stock cable end still rubs inside the housing. I made a gasket/spacer from an old goggle lens. It seemed to help the rubbing a bit, but it's still there. Also, with the top of the "box" off there is no rubbing, but the pull on the easiest setting is just barely lighter than stock. Can I take off the "chrome" sleeve off the stock cable end? I think that would help.

Also, my pull is a tad longer than stock also, but I am all the way adjusted one way. I am afraid that during a ride I may need to adjust the clutch and if I need to adjust it out I have no more adjustment available.

After seeing the insides of this gizmo, I'm not sure I understand how the three different positions will change the leverage. The two cables are still the same distance from each other at all settings. I would think that there should be different positions for the OEM cable. This would drastically change the leverage ratio.

9785C3EA-4095-4442-9BDD-838A45600994_zps

A574B6CE-6A8F-41CD-A4ED-7B3F62142712_zps

Edited by woods-rider, January 15, 2014 - 07:24 AM.

• woods-rider

Posted January 15, 2014 - 07:25 AM

After drawing up a quick free body diagram and throwing in some guessed numbers it actually looks like I have it in the hardest position in those pics, not the easiest.

OEM clutch cable tension to overcome assumed to be 15 lbs

Distance from OEM cable to closest position assumed to be 2"

Distance from new cable to closest position assumed to be 3"

Distance between closest and farthest position assumed to be 1"

These numbers are in no way accurate, but will give me an idea of how this thing works.

C5D7C8E9-73D9-4C03-8A38-C7E4178CA9A0_zps

With these imaginary numbers it clearly shows that the pin position closest to the cables is the easier of the two.

The directions that come with this Easy Pull system are very poor, but they do label the three positions as "light easy", "medium easy" and "best easy" pull going from farthest to closest positions. Reading that, I was not sure what the "best easy" pull meant, but it seemed pretty clear that the "light easy" should be easier than the "medium easy", but I guess not...

Edited by woods-rider, January 15, 2014 - 07:37 AM.

• Navaho6

Posted January 15, 2014 - 08:55 AM

I tried all three and the pin closest in felt like the easiest

• woods-rider

Posted January 15, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Cool, I'll try that when I get home. I still don't like the scraping going on inside the "box".

• Navaho6

Posted January 15, 2014 - 02:49 PM

That's one of the reasons I ordered a custom cable with a smaller barrel end (8mm dia. x 9mm wide).  Oem cable will bind and the barrel end will scrape the sides, both of which add friction.

• woods-rider

Posted January 16, 2014 - 07:30 AM

So I tried all three pins last night without the top  on the "box" to avoid any added friction the larger OEM barrel may add. I couldn't tell any difference between any of the positions. They all seem slightly lighter than stock though. I guess it may have to just wait for a full days ride to give an accurate opinion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Navaho6

Posted January 16, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Might not get to try mine until next weekend.  Still waiting on my cable.

• woods-rider

Posted January 17, 2014 - 11:38 AM

Might not get to try mine until next weekend.  Still waiting on my cable.

I'm riding on Sunday so I'll get to give it a fair test.

• Navaho6

Posted January 17, 2014 - 12:08 PM

If you decide to keep using it, get a spare Moose cable ($11) and carry it with you.  http://www.motorcycl...CFUsV7AodMzEAmw

Judging by the squeaking I am hearing, there is some rubbing going on, and the Moose cable will not last as long as your main clutch cable.

http://youtu.be/WyCzFLQ_EwI

Edited by Navaho6, January 17, 2014 - 12:14 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 17, 2014 - 12:22 PM

What about throw?

Usually 'easier' pull means a shorter throw.....the dang WR clutch drags enough as it is....

• woods-rider

Posted January 17, 2014 - 12:31 PM

If you decide to keep using it, get a spare Moose cable ($11) and carry it with you.  http://www.motorcycl...CFUsV7AodMzEAmw

Judging by the squeaking I am hearing, there is some rubbing going on, and the Moose cable will not last as long as your main clutch cable.

http://youtu.be/WyCzFLQ_EwI

Mine came with an extra cable which I thought was strange. Mine does not squeak like the one in the video. Is that a video of your setup?

What about throw?

Usually 'easier' pull means a shorter throw.....the dang WR clutch drags enough as it is....

The pull definitely got longer. I think I have it adjusted adequately for now, but I am using up almost all of the available pull so If things need some adjusting mid ride it won't be as simple as it was before.

Just sitting on the bike I can't really tell if the pull is lighter, but I rode it around my house for a few min last night and could feel a big difference in pull effort. I'm not sure why I could feel it while riding and now while just sitting on it. Probably just perception on my part, though I'm not sure which "perception" is the accurate one.

Edited by woods-rider, January 17, 2014 - 12:32 PM.

• Navaho6

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:20 PM

The Moose comes with two cables because one is shorter than the other for different bikes. I used the shorter one. The longer one used up all my adjustment

• Navaho6

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:23 PM

Have always noticed that clutch pull is easier when bike is running vs cold

• Navaho6

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Yes, that's my set up. ASV c6 lever on spare bars lying on top of WR bars just for measuring cable length reqts

• Navaho6

Posted January 19, 2014 - 06:08 PM

I was interested in the Moose easy pull because I was getting arm pump.  Installed a product called a Vibranator in the handlebars.  Cuts out handlebar vibration.  Rode 60 miles yesterday.  No more tingly feeling in hands and I had no arm pump!!   Might not need the Moose easy pull now that the handlebar vibes are reduced but I'll give it a try anyway. Always nice to have a lighter clutch pull.

• woods-rider

Posted January 20, 2014 - 11:05 AM

So, I rode 40+ miles of very technical single track yesterday and got a good feel for the Moose Easy Pull. The pull is ~30% lighter on the lightest setting and is very noticeable while riding. Before installing the Easy Pull I always used 2 fingers. Now I can use 1 finger, but if I try to do this all day I get arm pump. What I ended up doing was using 2 fingers part of the time and on the rougher sections where I needed to hold on a bit harder I could use 1 finger no problem. I had no adjustment issues and the clutch worked fine all day. I am a happy customer now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.