DG or Lexx slip on for '06 WR450F ?

8 replies to this topic
  • firedog55

Posted November 15, 2013 - 08:25 PM

I've got a '06 WR450F with all the jetting and de-restricting mods done including a ProMotoBillet exhaust insert in the stock pipe. I'm looking for a little more exhaust tone and performance. Both DG and the Lexx Mxe slip on can be had for about $180, I also considered a FMF slip on but it's a little more @ $240. Any advice and experience welcomed. Thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 16, 2013 - 06:35 AM

The Lexx is almost the same as your current setup, but not as durable.

Still restrictive, but less restrictive than stock.

Very small 1"-ish core size.

If low sound levels with more flow than stock is paramount, it works, will not stand up to hard riding for very long.

My Lexx full pipe system had the muffler bracket start falling apart aftet 5 hard rides. Had to make a new one.

The mid-pipe joint adapter is mickey-mouse, and will fail eventually. It is a split-spacer, and it starts to leak pretty quickly.

• firedog55

Posted November 16, 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Krannie for your reply.  After a little more research here I've come to the same conclusion about the Lexx durability.  That still leaves the DG.  Thanks again.  What concerns me with the FMF is that the rear mounting bracket is riveted on to the muffler body.

Edited by firedog55, November 16, 2013 - 11:14 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 16, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Krannie for your reply.  After a little more research here I've come to the same conclusion about the Lexx durability.  That still leaves the DG.  Thanks again.  What concerns me with the FMF is that the rear mounting bracket is riveted on to the muffler body.

IMHO

The FMF will last 5 times longer than the Lexx, in hard riding.

For me, that would mean about one year.

Every FMF pipe I have ever owned has had to be replaced or completely rebuilt, eventually.  They are not crap, they are just 'more economical'. 

The higher end brands (Dr D, Pro Circuit, Bills, Two Bros, MRD) will all last the life of the bike with proper maintenance.

I personally would not buy anything but Dr D (Dubach Racing) or Pro Circuit. You can find close-outs on these brands all over the internet to save some money.

2003-2006 are all the same fit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FRANTIK1

Posted November 16, 2013 - 05:52 PM

You seem to be looking at slip on's in the low end price range. You get what you pay for for sure.

That being said, I've had a Lexx on my 09  YZ450F for 2 seasons now without a problem. As usual, the packing sucks, but can be repacked easily.

Needed a replacement for the stocker, and wanted quiet. The Lexx insert robbed to much power, so out it came. Nuff said.

Whats nice about the Lexx is you can get different size end tips, and replacement end cap if it gets damaged for cheap.

I think the muffler is built well, but the mid-pipe leaves a little to be desired.

Posted November 16, 2013 - 07:49 PM

My friends been running a Lexx now on his Yz450 for about 3 years with no issue's and his bike has had plenty of spills. He has the same opinion as FRANTIK1 on taking the insert out for better power and that's over the stock pipe. I'm running a Dr D on mine and had the stinger portion crack and when I popped the can open to weld the back side the inner core was broke at the welds as well. I don't think the build quality is far off between the brands, they are all thin tin but performance is a different subject. What I have noticed is one pipe can have a different mounting set up depending on what bike it is going on and sometimes that can be the weak point.

• firedog55

Posted November 17, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Thanks guys for your input. I've decided to go ahead and pop for a ProCircuit T4. Best price I could find on the internet is $353 shhipped. I'll tell my wife it's my Christmas present.

• The Hedgehog

Posted November 17, 2013 - 06:50 PM

IMHO
Every FMF pipe I have ever owned has had to be replaced or completely rebuilt, eventually.  They are not crap, they are just 'more economical'. 

The higher end brands (Dr D, Pro Circuit, Bills, Two Bros, MRD) will all last the life of the bike with proper maintenance.

I personally would not buy anything but Dr D (Dubach Racing) or Pro Circuit. You can find close-outs on these brands all over the internet to save some money.

I listened and went for the DrD. Could not be happier with my choice. The fit and finish are great. After re jetting it smoothed out the power band all around.

• shrubitup

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:24 PM

IMHO

+1 The Lexx is not durable. Can mount allowed pipe to rattle and develop pitting on the can itself. It will eventually cut through. This was on a YZ250F. Get the DG. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.