Thinking of trading up. 2013 WR450 Questions

4 replies to this topic
  • Phat Twin

Posted November 15, 2013 - 04:56 PM

I currently have a 99 WR400, totally set up for me in suspension (250+ with gear) and has all the other mods performed on it.  It runs pretty good, rips well for a bike its age.  I love it, ride it hard and it hasn't let me down at all.  But, its old technology, heavy up high and I would love to make the jump to newer technology and better suspension.  Sounds like I have already convinced my self to buy a newer WR, you say?  Is it worth it, is my question?

- Besides the suspension setup, what else needs to been done to a bike with FI?  Do the same type of mods have to occur as in the carburated WR's before FI?

- The fork rake, wheel base and seat heights appear to be negligible is difference between the years, but I know the weight and other differences lie in a more compact design.  Do they make tall seats for the bike, I am 6' 4".

- Can I buy oversized fuel tanks in the 3 gallon range?

- Being that the bike is FI, I should be able to put and FMF Q pipe without any modifications to the programming, correct?

- Also, what would be an acceptable price (Besides what I am willing to pay) for a left over 2013 WR450?

Any help to help me make my determination to buy the bike would be greatly appreciated.  

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:03 PM

I would suggest doing a search per each of your questions as they have been asked before. Reason being is you will already have alot of responses/opinions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:51 PM

No

Yes

Yes

No

You must buy the bike with the GYTR kit if you are going to ride it seriously.

• Phat Twin

Posted November 16, 2013 - 02:24 AM

No

Yes

Yes

No

You must buy the bike with the GYTR kit if you are going to ride it seriously.

Thanks, Kranny and everyone.  I knew you would come through.  I tried looking up some of the questions, but my search and google Fu appear to not be up to par, sorry.  Regarding the GYTR kit, you mean the plug/adapter and the tuner, correct?   If I bought a different exhaust, what changes have to occur?

Thanks!

Posted November 16, 2013 - 03:40 PM

I currently have a 99 WR400, totally set up for me in suspension (250+ with gear) and has all the other mods performed on it.  It runs pretty good, rips well for a bike its age.  I love it, ride it hard and it hasn't let me down at all.  But, its old technology, heavy up high and I would love to make the jump to newer technology and better suspension.  Sounds like I have already convinced my self to buy a newer WR, you say?  Is it worth it, is my question?  Yes...

- Besides the suspension setup, what else needs to been done to a bike with FI?  Do the same type of mods have to occur as in the carburated WR's before FI?  

- Tuner

- ECU

- Open up air box

- Change out throttle stop screw

- Pipe

http://www.thumperta...0 +what +to +do

- The fork rake, wheel base and seat heights appear to be negligible is difference between the years, but I know the weight and other differences lie in a more compact design.  Do they make tall seats for the bike, I am 6' 4".  Yes...   http://www.gutsracin...uctCode=SFWR003

- Can I buy oversized fuel tanks in the 3 gallon range?   http://www.imsproduc...ue&TypeSet=Fuel

Tank&SeriesSet=&sed=true&tyd=true&YearsSet=12-13&SizeSet=3.0 gal

- Being that the bike is FI, I should be able to put and FMF Q pipe without any modifications to the programming, correct? No, might be a little lean but will run fine.

- Also, what would be an acceptable price (Besides what I am willing to pay) for a left over 2013 WR450?

Any help to help me make my determination to buy the bike would be greatly appreciated.  

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.