06 yz450f reliability?

6 replies to this topic
  • Yammer-Hammer

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just curious because im looking at buying a 06 yz450f in the next week, and im wondering what are the known issues with the 06 yz450f's, especially engine wise.

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Driveways, manhole covers, and sundials are more reliable, but that's about it.

There were very few "issues" that ever really came up with the '06.  One was an apparently small batch of bad bearings on the roller end of the shift indexing lever under the clutch.  Only a few were affected, and it never amounted to a major problem.

Use a good oil, change it often, and keep the air filter fresh, timing chain once a year.  In 300 hours, I used a piston, rings, one valve adjustment, and the center intake valve.  Still runs strong.

• Yammer-Hammer

Posted November 15, 2013 - 09:27 AM

So there about as reliable as they get then,  and hows the handling and power on the '06 compared to a '02 426?  Is there alot of bottom end? how would the bottom end grunt and throttle response compare to my '02 426?    

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted November 15, 2013 - 09:43 AM

My 06 was very reliable. I had to replace the water pump seal twice (I replaced the water pump shaft and bearing the second time as well), but I have had the water pump seal go bad on many bikes I have owned. Other than that it was rock solid.

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2013 - 03:02 PM

So there about as reliable as they get then, and hows the handling and power on the '06 compared to a '02 426? Is there alot of bottom end? how would the bottom end grunt and throttle response compare to my '02 426?

Handling is night and day better. As far as the power, you asked that question already.

• Sterobbo91

Posted November 15, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Ive got an 07 ive had it since 2009 and had no problems with it im onto my second top end rebuild because I ride it hard but dependant on how you ride they can last for years if they are well maintained ie oil changed every so often
My friend has on 08 and he doesnt smash it like I do and he hasnt had to rebuild it and his runs fine no smoke or anything and its all stock so id say there pretty reliable bikes.

• blurz28

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:03 PM

I have really enjoyed mine so far.... Just routine maintenance and you'll be a happy camper.
Power everywhere.
Sorry, I can't compare to anything except the 05 yz 250 2 stroke I came off of..... And other than reliability there is no comparison.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.