New 02 YZ426

3 replies to this topic
  • 426Brent

Posted December 24, 2001 - 05:28 PM

My new YZ426 came off the floor needing a new sparkplug. That put an end to most of the backfiring. However, it still seems to pop and crack when decelerating. Is this normal? I rode someone's '01 426 and it didn't do that. Any suggestions appreciated.

• Bill

Posted December 24, 2001 - 05:43 PM

Merry X-mas,

More than likely your lean in the pilot circuit. Turn the fuel screw out (located on the bottom of the fuel bowl) 1/4 turn at a time. But first, turn the screw in and count the number of turns it is. That way, you can always return it if you get to far off.

If you get to 2.75 turns out, that's a good indicator, that you'll need to go up one, on the pilot jet.

Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WileE1

Posted December 24, 2001 - 07:38 PM

I have put about 30 hours on my 2002 yz426, and I have yet to notice any backfire problems.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 25, 2001 - 08:00 AM

426Brent didn't say where he lived or the temperature. A hanging idle, slight popping/backfiring on decel is indicative of a lean pilot circuit. Colder weather requires richer jetting. I live in Houston Texas where the stock jetting and 1.5 turns on the fuel screw (on my stock bike) is pretty good when the weather is 70-80 degrees. Right now is it barely 40-50 degrees and I have had to use 2.75 turns on the stock 42 pilot jet to get it started and running. It needs a 45 now but I haven't received it from mail order yet!

So, with a stock 2001 / 2002 bike turning the fuel screw in and out will compensate (at sea level) for a pretty wide range of temperatures - colder than 40-50 should probably have a 45 pilot.

Regards,

Steve T

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.