#$%&* Craigslist again!

12 replies to this topic
  • mrjata

Posted November 13, 2013 - 05:46 AM

Just got back from looking at an 08 450f.  The ad said "it need motor work, just blew a head gasket".  Ya right, it threw the wrist pin through the cylinder.  There was a hole the size of a half dollar out of the jug.  I could have dealt with that but the mad scientist started tearing down the motor.  Noe it was in several boxes and baggies.  Jees, i wonder what it's like to work at NASA?

OH, but wait, there's more!  It had new plastics and updated graphics.  That right there made me want to buy it, NOT!  Is it me or or is craigslist like this?  I haven't seen or dealt with anything good yet.  Nothing but thrashed trash.  but it all has a new to end, "ported and polished headS" (though it only has one head), hi compression pistionS (again, single cylinder), and fresh carbS,  Getting fed up looking.  I just wanted a bike to fix this winter for the neighbor kid who can't afford one.

I relinquish the soap box.............

• ski-dooin it

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Lots of junk on it for sure, but i just bought a 2011 yz450 from second owner, claimed "low hours" between the both of them... yeah, ok. whatever. its clean, runs good and i got a smoking deal on it.

after my first ride i went to dealer for timing remap, and wow, 15 hours on it!!! and i had just done 4 of them.

Bought my truck off it to, just takes more hunting, and weeding out scammers, and doing a little checking beforey you go check stuff out.

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:45 AM

There are some dummies out there who don't know any better along with some legitimate jerks who try to sell stuff they know is bad and either downplay or cover it up just to get it out of their garage.  Probably more of the latter.  I've been burned before on eBay...bought an old '65 Dodge Coronet that the owner, who I talked with numerous times on the phone with prior to bidding, had send me additional photos, and who swore it was daily-driver reliable (though that was never my intent), was basically covering up a rusted out mess that I ended up having to deal with.  I'll never forget the day I went to go pick it up at the auto shipper yard - didn't pay a whole lot for it, but huge lesson learned (along with welding and fabrication skills...).  Search "Homebuilt Bigblock Mopar" on YouTube to see what I did with it though.

But I found my '11 WR450 on Craigslist earlier this year.  It actually seemed too good to be true because it was in like-new condition, was plated, had all the uncorking mods and some work to the carb done to it, and the guy was asking well below bluebook for it.   I was in the market, found that to be a sweet deal, drove the 2.5 hours to go see it, and bought it as soon as I could.  He was completely honest about everything, very knowledgeable, and had done good solid work in maintaining it and making it street legal.  Couldn't have worked out better.

It all depends on how honest the seller is and the buyer's ability to sense BS and most importantly be patient, say no thanks (or "hell no"), and move on.  Caveat emptor!

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Remember that the total time on the CDI can be reset to zero at any time with the tuner.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 13, 2013 - 08:43 AM

The deals are few and far between but they are out there.  Too many people think a well maintained bike means they scraped the mud off before taking the pictures for the ad, and then there are the guys who think that the bike they paid $7k for 3 years ago and spent $2k in aftermarket parts on is still worth $6-7k...

• KJ790

Posted November 13, 2013 - 08:55 AM

From what I have seen, a large majority of people just don't take care of their bikes to begin with. They either don't know how or they just don't care. On top of that, when planning on selling a bike soon, many people (even many people who had previously taken care of their bike) will begin to neglect the bike further and let the next owner deal with it. I am constantly buying and selling bikes on craigslist, and I have never found a bike that I would consider "race ready" condition, despite what they advertise. When I sell a bike I prep it as if I were going to race it the next day. The plastics are new, the brakes are new, the chain and sprockets are new, the tires are good, the air filter is clean, the oil is fresh, the brake fluid is fresh, and the motor and suspension are fresh. I realize that most people would never go through all that, but most bikes I look at have bald tires, no brake pad left, chain falling off of sprockets with missing teeth, caked air filters, broken levers, missing bolts, leaking fork seals, etc. When I point this stuff out I always get the "well it's a dirtbike, what do you expect". If the ad says it is in mint condition and ready to ride, I expect it to actually be that way, and I have yet to actually find that. Maybe my definition of ready to ride is different from other peoples'...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:32 AM

The '06 I continue to ride to this day was marketed as having been ridden very little, and stored for most of the year the owner had it.  It had in fact been ridden twice and crashed once, which is why it had a nice new set of Lightspeed Ti pegs on it.  He probably had either started it periodically to keep the carb fresh, or had the carb cleaned just before selling it, because it ran perfectly, and the factory sparkle was still on the spokes.

It wasn't on Craigslist, though.  Most of what I find there regardless of what I'm searching for is either people with high end premium stuff for sale at top dollar, with the seller using CL as a way of saturating the available advertising venues, or people too cheap even to pay for an ad to get rid of their junk, much less spend any money on it to prep it for sale.  Some good bargains do exist there, but not many.

My son and I recently spent 3 months working on his modified Wrangler getting it ready to sell.  When we got done, it needed nothing except a new dashboard clock, and didn't even leak oil.  He lost money on the deal compared to what he had spent on it over the four years he had it, of course, but we sold it with a clear conscience, and the new owner got what they were told they got, and what they paid for. 

• cowboyona426

Posted November 13, 2013 - 10:28 AM

Some good bargains do exist there, but not many.

One of my better recent Craigslist acquisitions was my 91 CR500.  I paid $1000.  Took it home, pulled and cleaned the carb and it fired on the 3rd kick after sitting in a barn for 8 years.

Edited by cowboyona426, November 13, 2013 - 12:16 PM.

• Bturner

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:00 PM

From what I have seen, a large majority of people just don't take care of their bikes to begin with. They either don't know how or they just don't care. On top of that, when planning on selling a bike soon, many people (even many people who had previously taken care of their bike) will begin to neglect the bike further and let the next owner deal with it. I am constantly buying and selling bikes on craigslist, and I have never found a bike that I would consider "race ready" condition, despite what they advertise. When I sell a bike I prep it as if I were going to race it the next day. The plastics are new, the brakes are new, the chain and sprockets are new, the tires are good, the air filter is clean, the oil is fresh, the brake fluid is fresh, and the motor and suspension are fresh. I realize that most people would never go through all that, but most bikes I look at have bald tires, no brake pad left, chain falling off of sprockets with missing teeth, caked air filters, broken levers, missing bolts, leaking fork seals, etc. When I point this stuff out I always get the "well it's a dirtbike, what do you expect". If the ad says it is in mint condition and ready to ride, I expect it to actually be that way, and I have yet to actually find that. Maybe my definition of ready to ride is different from other peoples'...

I do the same thing bud.  I always sell my bikes w/ fresh oil, plug, plastics, graphics, tires, drive train, grips, etc.  Its always clean as a whistle & for real ready to ride or race.  I can't ever find a bike used like I sell mine.  They always need at least tires, an oil change etc. 

On another note, last weekend I purchased an 09 yz450f & it was everything he said it was, even had a box of goodies to go with it.  The ad was on Georgia Off-Road though & most on there take pride in their bikes & reputations because its a small community, mostly an older crowd & we all race the same series & ride at the same parks. 

On CL you've got to take your time & look at a few different bikes before making a decision.  I know some friends I ride with that never take their time with anything & buy the 1st bike they look at with in a few days of shopping.  I shopped for over a month til I found a bike I was willing to buy.

• mrjata

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:46 PM

What do you'all think of this one??  What is with the green spokes???

http://kansascity.cr...4149973183.html

• shrubitup

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:56 PM

What do you'all think of this one??  What is with the green spokes???

http://kansascity.cr...4149973183.html

that bike is not very "clean". If he sold it for $2K then sure but he's claiming it's low hour. Look at the clutch cover and frame, header, grips, tires. 

• mrjata

Posted November 15, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I am figuring a top end for sure. I was thinking about the $2k mark.  Will prob. tick him off. obw  Shows a lot of age.

• mikedabike

Posted November 15, 2013 - 08:36 PM

There is good stuff on CL but it is not there long.  It seems like 90% of the bikes have been on there for months and are either way overpriced or garbage.  You have to be quick on jump on the deals or they are gone.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.