Need Advice On Crankshaft Rebuild

9 replies to this topic
  • Hurst62

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Long story short, I took my 06 wr450 swimming and hydro locked the engine. Got it running but after it warms up it has a slight knock. I began tearing the engine down last weekend and had no problems till I got ready to remove the piston pin. I had a real tough time getting it out. After I finally got the pin out, I noticed that the pin would go in most of the way from the left side, but if I tried to insert the pin from the right side, it didn't want to go so I'm guessing the piston pin bore has some issues so a new piston kit is in order for sure. Since I'm the 3rd owner Ive decided to go on and go through the bottom end since the engine is half way apart already. As far as connecting rods go is one better than another? Hot Rods, Pro-X, or Wiseco? Also.....an I better off just having my crank rebuilt, or am I better off buying the complete hot rods or wiseco crank kits? Any advice would be great! I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon! Any recommendations on piston kits and gasket kits would be great too!!! Thanks

• William1

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Unless you are building a special engine, it is cheaper to replace the complete crank instead of rebuilding it. Not too many shops these days are capable of truing and those that do, are expensive.

OEM piston and gaskets are good quality. How is the barrel bore? If it is questionable, a barrel swap from Millenium Tech (they supply a fitted piston) is a good way to go and has better plating than OEM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2013 - 08:03 AM

There are a couple of shops (google Mr. Crankshaft) that can do the job cheaper than a new crank, but frankly, not that much.  If you want the best service from the crank, whether rebuilt or new, blow off the aftermarket altogether and stick with new parts from Yamaha.  That simple.

If you insist on aftermarket stuff, Hot Rods cranks have a good rep, Wiseco does not.  Don't know anything about ProX, but most of their stuff is rebranded, made by someone else, and sometimes the pricing is a little on the silly side. 

• 1991jeffery

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:55 PM

I am putting a new bottom end in my 04 wr 450f and i was wondering what bottom end to put in my bike. What is the reason wiseco has a bad name. And is it possible the top of the connecting rod where the piston hooks to become wore out? Is the piston pin supposed to slid in and out of the rod easy? And it has play with it all hooked together side to side but not up and down? Its my first full motor rebuild. plz help

• Hurst62

Posted November 16, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. Ive decided to go oem if I need to have the crank rebuilt. At this point.....I'm not sure it needs it. I've not split the cases and pulled the crank yet. Upon inspection.....the connecting rod had no up and down movement on the pin. The big end side clearance checks out at .010 and small end free play checks out at .032, both well within specs. Hate to spend money needlessly but for peace of mind may do it anyway I guess. I'm just not sure at this point where the knocking would have been coming from....sure sounded like a rod to me. The knock was more pronounced at idle. Ive got to take the cylinder and piston to someone with the bore mic to check. Cylinder still had cross hatch marks and no scoring so I'm really scratching my head. Thoughts??? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hurst62

Posted November 16, 2013 - 09:26 AM

I am putting a new bottom end in my 04 wr 450f and i was wondering what bottom end to put in my bike. What is the reason wiseco has a bad name. And is it possible the top of the connecting rod where the piston hooks to become wore out? Is the piston pin supposed to slid in and out of the rod easy? And it has play with it all hooked together side to side but not up and down? Its my first full motor rebuild. plz help

Ive done a lot of research the past week. What Ive been reading about the Wiseco's is some have the tendancy to grenade due to bearing failure, but who knows....maybe it wasn't broken in properly of just poor maintenance. Ive also read quality control isn't always real good and the cranks need to be retrued, but that could be due to handling during shipping. I know back when I was MUCH younger,,,,Wiseco was top notch stuff.....at least pistons, but that was almost 25 yrs ago.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 16, 2013 - 12:29 PM

Ive done a lot of research the past week. What Ive been reading about the Wiseco's is some have the tendancy to grenade due to bearing failure, but who knows....maybe it wasn't broken in properly of just poor maintenance. Ive also read quality control isn't always real good and the cranks need to be retrued, but that could be due to handling during shipping. I know back when I was MUCH younger,,,,Wiseco was top notch stuff.....at least pistons, but that was almost 25 yrs ago.

Wiesco sells a mixture of top quality american made products, and total Chinese crap, just like almost everyone else.

Hot Rods or OEM is you best bet.

• Krimble

Posted November 17, 2013 - 03:27 PM

I need to get one also. I'm leaning to OEM though. It seems like the safest bet. 

• motogangsta74

Posted September 19, 2015 - 11:18 AM

I'd be happy to just FIND any new crank kit for my '02 wr250f. Can't find anything older than '03. Rod seized on crank. I was planning to put a new Crank kit in but the only one I've found is WISECO '03 on up. I need to know which crank is compatible with '02 if any..or where I can find a crank kit for '02 wr250f. Any information is greatly appreciated pic for attention ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1442690314.206468.jpg

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 19, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Long story short, I took my 06 wr450 swimming and hydro locked the engine. Got it running but after it warms up it has a slight knock. I began tearing the engine down last weekend and had no problems till I got ready to remove the piston pin. I had a real tough time getting it out. After I finally got the pin out, I noticed that the pin would go in most of the way from the left side, but if I tried to insert the pin from the right side, it didn't want to go so I'm guessing the piston pin bore has some issues so a new piston kit is in order for sure. Since I'm the 3rd owner Ive decided to go on and go through the bottom end since the engine is half way apart already. As far as connecting rods go is one better than another? Hot Rods, Pro-X, or Wiseco? Also.....an I better off just having my crank rebuilt, or am I better off buying the complete hot rods or wiseco crank kits? Any advice would be great! I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon! Any recommendations on piston kits and gasket kits would be great too!!! Thanks

I chose to rebuild mine. It was a little cheaper than buying a new OEM crank and I got a Carrillo rod in it.
I see your in Indiana, theres a shop here in Ohio called Mototech USA that will rebuild your crank for $35 labor. The guy that runs its name is Chris Thomas. He builds Jarod Vanderkooi's pro ama flat track motors.

Edited by knuckleduster271, September 19, 2015 - 08:14 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.