FMF MegaMax II

8 replies to this topic
  • Tom_in_KS

Posted December 24, 2001 - 09:38 AM

Anyone have any input on the performance of this silencer?

I just ordered on from Dirt-deals.com as they have them on clearence for $100.00 complete with discs and spark arrestor.

I thought $100 was a killer deal and could not pass it up but I don't know if it's a decent pipe. It can not be worse than stock or atleast I hope.

Another question is how do you tune it with the discs and will it require re-jetting?

I am installing it on a 98 400 that is bone stock. It runs great now but I do think the fule mixture needs adjusting because it back fires a bit when I let off the gas at high revs.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks
Tom

• 2_Trick_Rick

Posted December 24, 2001 - 03:54 PM

Just Bolt It On And Ride. If you have any problems or questions check www.fmfracing.com
they have a page for jetting.

Rick

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted December 24, 2001 - 06:44 PM

Your experience may be a little different than mine, since I have a '99 WR400, but at the very least the Megamax II is lighter than my stock muffler. It can be repacked (the stock muffler couldn't) and the powerband seemed to be shifted to lower in the rev range.

With a quiet core insert, it has the potential to be much quieter than stock (this will sacrifice some power, however). I rode it for a year with the quiet core in and I decided to take it out just to see how it ran. I REALLY like the power without the quiet core installed and don't want to put it back on.

I paid over $200 for mine, so I think you're getting a killer deal.

• Tom_in_KS

Posted December 26, 2001 - 09:59 AM

Hey Rich, what type of end cap does this thing come with. I could not tell from the website photo's.

How does it look on the bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted December 26, 2001 - 10:47 PM

Looks just like this:Posted Image

I think it looks OK--a little bulky, but OK. The only real complaint I have with it is that it WILL melt a hole through your side panel. I've seen it happen on every WR that's got one. The hole isn't too ugly, about 2 inches around, but it is irritating. I bought new side panels from UFO with brand new heat shielding (I thought I was so clever) but it melted right through that, too. That was 50 bucks wasted. :)

• Tom_in_KS

Posted December 26, 2001 - 11:48 AM

Melting a hole in the side pannel does not sound too good, I wonder if there is any thing that can fix it..

Thanks for the post, I now know what it looks like and that helps. I would have prefered a turned down end cap but for a $100 brand new I will live with it..

Thanks again for the post!

• Bryan Bosch

Posted December 26, 2001 - 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Rich in Orlando:
Looks just like this:Posted Image

I think it looks OK--a little bulky, but OK. The only real complaint I have with it is that it WILL melt a hole through your side panel. I've seen it happen on every WR that's got one. The hole isn't too ugly, about 2 inches around, but it is irritating. I bought new side panels from UFO with brand new heat shielding (I thought I was so clever) but it melted right through that, too. That was 50 bucks wasted. :)

Many miles w/ my MMII and no holes... :D

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted December 27, 2001 - 09:42 AM

Bryan Bosch wrote: "Many miles w/ my MMII and no holes..."

Well...la-di-freakin'-da! :D :) :D

Next on Oprah: When melted plastic happens to good people...

• Tom_in_KS

Posted December 27, 2001 - 10:27 PM

Ok, now for more questions :) does this think provide any real increased performance?

How does it sound, I like the loud thumper sound and hope this thing is not too quiet..

How many discs are you guys running?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.