Spray Painting Plastics

14 replies to this topic
  • SAB_Yam_WR

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:52 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has tried spray painting the plastics on their bike. Mine are quite scratched and fatigued and rather than replacing them straight away i'd like to tidy them up.

I know years ago i tried and was unsuccessful, however paint has come on a long way since then.

I imagine it would not take to the plastic or crack and flake?

Any replies would be appreciated.

thanks

SAB

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:13 AM

You will not like the results, after the first ride...

• SAB_Yam_WR

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thanks Krannie.

I thought as much. I think graphics may be a temporary measure until i can afford new plastics.

Any ideas if the rear fender of a later WR will fit my 2004? I like the rear light on the newer model/

• Zimman

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:48 AM

my tank and side plastics are painted ( appliance white epoxy rattle can 

I like it that way I can touch them up whenever i need to

not the most durable since the tank is Polyethylene and has fuel vapor permeation  but looks way better than the natural Acerbis color IMHO 

if I wanted to do it better I would put a urathane 2 part on top to keep it fuel proof  but I just fuel up carefully and it works out

PA190024.JPG

• woods-rider

Posted November 12, 2013 - 07:28 AM

Don't do it, they will all look like shite after one ride.

• morphrider

Posted November 12, 2013 - 07:40 AM

Paint is not good for plastic. Pieces are cheap when you look around. Or take some wet sand sandpaper to it to smooth it out until you get graphics. Mop & glo shines it up or get some sc1.  All depends on how bad your plastics are. Show some pics and maybe we can help out better.

• JTucker

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Well since everyone is against it I'll go the opposite way.  :lol:

Krylon Fusion made this

3c61fc05.jpg

Look Like this. 

98E85CC3-7D77-4AAE-981D-B90777ECCCE7-863

The shrouds and side panels are the original red and white on the XR. Not perfect but it works...

efd80740.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RockerYZWR

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'd really like to go with all white plastics on mine with some sweet graphics, but can't find the headlight/number plate piece in white anywhere.  May have to end up going Krylon Fusion, but I have a feeling that even with thorough prep - light sanding, wash/dry, and adhesion promoter - and several light coats, it still won't take long to start looking torn up.  Might try it anyway, since the stock piece is only about $19 for a new one (which is what I'd actually order and paint anyway).

By Krylon Fusion is most likely the way to go.

• redhurricane

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:18 AM

I'd really like to go with all white plastics on mine with some sweet graphics, but can't find the headlight/number plate piece in white anywhere.  May have to end up going Krylon Fusion, but I have a feeling that even with thorough prep - light sanding, wash/dry, and adhesion promoter - and several light coats, it still won't take long to start looking torn up.  Might try it anyway, since the stock piece is only about $19 for a new one (which is what I'd actually order and paint anyway).

By Krylon Fusion is most likely the way to go.

I went all white plastics, except for the stock 2006 headlight/number plate. Krylon fusion. With proper prep, you can get it to look very good and be somewhat durable. However, there is nothing that you can do to prevent scratches from going through the paint, revealing the original plastic color unless you touch up where it gets beat up. I am happy with mine, but the headlight doesn't get wear like the tank/side plates would. I have an IMS natural tank, and would not attempt to paint a tank. The only thing that stopped me from replacing the stock headlight was that I already had an HID conversion. in a year or two, I might replace with aftermarket and LED lighting.

• a694u2

Posted November 14, 2013 - 11:52 PM

I have had great result's with my plastic's, this is what i do,Start with 1 piece at a time,first wash plastic with dish soap real good,then use 600 wet sandpaper keep it soapy wet sand back and forth,avoid sanding any of your graphics if you need to you can tape off the edges,just be carefull when you remove the tape.next you want to dry it with a clean towel, now you can set it in the sun while you run to home depot to pick up 2 cans of Rust-Oleum gloss clear,it will say on can (bonds to plastic) you also want a roll of paper towels and some windex glass cleaner,next wipe your plastic really good with the window cleaner,find a nice spot outdoors,with no wind,and apply a mist coat of clear from about 2 feet away from plastic,wait 5 min and do another mist coat wait 10 min,then apply a wet coat,let dry,if you have any runs you can wet sand with 600 and respray the next day, be patient and take your time,good luck

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted November 15, 2013 - 12:53 AM

• If you ride offroad your plastic will look like shite pretty fast if you paint it. It might look alright on the road for a awhile.. To me just do it right or don't do it at all. If your plastic is faded.. do what some others have said.. the mop and glo treatment.. or just polish.. or armour all type treatment.. plastic polish..or sometimes graphics can mask it a bit.. but to see cracks of paint with another color underneath is really crappy looking to me. I hate that. I'd never paint my plastic because it looks so half ass to me.. and you know that the paint will crack and the paint will not cover .. just save money and buy new plastics. There is a guy who does some treatment on old plastic. Maybe that is worth it? I don't know.. Here it is. Maybe it works ok. I didn't try. I figured I'd try if I couldn't get plastic for certain bikes. To me painting is a last resort and I still wont do it. Buy some new plastic if you can.. That's the best way to go.

http://www.youtube.c...CAC2564407AAA08

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mKHeZusdTTM

Edited by hawaiidirtrider, November 15, 2013 - 12:59 AM.

• The Hedgehog

Posted November 18, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Mostly good advice. It is best to replace. I only paint it out of necessity. It does work but you need to use fusion on something with a flexing agent.

I did learn a cool trick with fusion. It works great on parts that are anodized black. Black anodize fades fast. Shoot a coat of black fusion on it (you can wait for it to fade if you like) and it will look new for years. It actually works much better than black anodize!

• ThatguyTJ

Posted November 18, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Well since everyone is against it I'll go the opposite way. :lol:

Krylon Fusion made this
Posted Image
Look Like this.
Posted Image

The shrouds and side panels are the original red and white on the XR. Not perfect but it works...
Posted Image

I know this is way off topic but, what size wheels and tires are you running? I like the way those look, looks like warp9?....
Also, to add to the topic, I have used plastidip to paint some of my plastic parts. It works well as long as it isn't in an area where it gets rubbed a lot. The pieces I have painted have done well except for the ones between my legs. The more layers you put the more durable it will be.
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1384836333.491716.jpg

• Motomike1

Posted November 20, 2013 - 04:24 PM

sorry for the thread hijack, but anyone know any tricks to get graphics to restick to the shrouds?

• SurfaceToAir

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:19 PM

sorry for the thread hijack, but anyone know any tricks to get graphics to restick to the shrouds?

The shroud stickers on my bike pulled away on the bottom part of them, which on my graphics, stick on the part of the shroud that folds under ( 2008 WR ).. I flipped the nonsticking part of the sticker up so I could see underneath, and used 3-M spray on adhesive on it. Then to get it to uniformly stick back on, I used a flexible piece of plastic I have and clamped it to the shroud, over the sticker, so there was pressure over the whole part I wanted to re-stick.

I'd not paint anything that flexes, since it will likely crack or peel.  I'd save your pennies and get some new plastics.

For paint on my bike, I ended up using white gloss Krylon on the headlight. I took it all apart so I didn't need to tape off anything..  It looks good.  As stated above, prep is key. keep your greasy fingerprints off the parts you will paint. Also avoid any detergents that will leave a film. Spray on many light coats, not just two heavy ones. Mind the temp for paint curing/ drying. its both a chemical and evaporation process, and temp matters.

Good luck-

Dustin

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.