13/50 vs. 13/51: Ride difference?

7 replies to this topic
  • RockerYZWR

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:50 AM

I bought my 2011 earlier this year and it had been very lightly used.  Previous owner had registered it for the street and changed gearing to 14/40, threw some DOT knobbies on it, did all the free mods and a little extra carb work, and then basically almost never rode it.  So I have the all the stock parts, including the original sprockets (which show no wear at all).

I put a 45T sprocket on the back when I first got it to keep some fairly low RPM 55-70 mph cruising capability since it's plated, but I really don't ride much on the street and certainly not on the highway.  So, I'd like to go back to the stock gearing but keep reading about the 13/51 combo.

So: is 51 on the back vs. the stock 50 really that noticeable?  Is it helping to bridge a gap somewhere in the gearing that I'm not aware of with my 14/45 setup?  For where I ride most often, it's a combo of tight technical areas with jumps, each connected by a mile or so of open trail - I'm rarely over 4th gear as it is.

Also, from what I've searched through on here, it looks like a 114 link chain will work with 13/51 - can anybody verify that that'll work?

Thanks a lot for the help.

• Monk

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Most likely you wouldn't notice a difference between 50 and 51..... Going from 50-52, you should notice the difference though. One thing many people do is switch out the front sprockets. 13-14t fronts are equal to about 2.5-3 teeth on the rear and is a much simpler switch....
As for your chain length, I have no idea...

• GP1K

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:23 PM

FWIW my 2012 stock was 13/50 and I went to 13/51. Not a huge difference, but I can feel it. Mostly in the ability to run a gear higher on most trails where I felt a little in-between before. Now it's just right. I still rarely find myself in 5th gear, and then only on a fire road. I will probably plate my WR at some point, but not for street, just to be legal on forest service roads etc. and can't see changing the gearing.

Not sure if they tranny ratios are any different on 2011 and earlier vs 2012?

Also I'm still on my stock chain, 51 fit no problem.

Edited by GP1K, November 11, 2013 - 12:24 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Look in the mirror

Knock out one of your teeth (your choice)

That is the difference. Not much, but still significant!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RockerYZWR

Posted November 11, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

GP1K - good info - thanks a lot.  I've seen mention of 13/51 in magazines as well and just wouldn't think a single tooth would make all that much of a difference, but I'll try it.  I believe the stock chain is 114 links or so, so I'll make sure and go with that. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:49 PM

I do a lot of tight technical riding. I went 12/51. I love it. It makes everything so much easier. For any given 1st gear speed the engine is running faster meaning less stalling, easier wheelies and better throttle response.

• KennyMc

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I do a lot of tight technical riding. I went 12/51. I love it. It makes everything so much easier. For any given 1st gear speed the engine is running faster meaning less stalling, easier wheelies and better throttle response.

I am currently running a 12 counter sprocket on my '07. The back is a 49 but I've had that on for 3 years. It's an Ironman and shows no wear so I'll prolly keep it for awhile. Like you said, makes the slower, technical riding easier and the ability to use 5th hear more often.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:02 PM

I am currently running a 12 counter sprocket on my '07. The back is a 49 but I've had that on for 3 years. It's an Ironman and shows no wear so I'll prolly keep it for awhile. Like you said, makes the slower, technical riding easier and the ability to use 5th hear more often.

And the gears are closer together. 2nd is pretty tall on these bikes. Winding out 2nd is pretty fast for a technical climb.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 12, 2013 - 10:03 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.