Lights on - Parts Advice

5 replies to this topic
  • SAB_Yam_WR

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:10 AM

Hi Newbie here.

I have a WR 450F 2004 which i've just bought.

I've a few questions, answers greatly received.

1) Is there anywhere i can find a parts list? (i'd like to service it and would like part numbers, e.g. spark plug, air filter, oil filter)

2) Is there a special starting procedure? i only tried briefly and couldn't start it, there isn't much petrol in it and its been stood so guessing its stale. I bought the bike from the owners dad and only spoke to the owner on the phone, he put a new battery on it and had started it. (Do i need to pull in the clutch for example)

3) Should the light come on as soon as i push the on / off button?

Any help welcome.

Regards

• RMK800

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:36 AM

http://www.rockymoun...c.com/oem-parts

Here is one place you can look for OEM parts for your bike.

• dan_zombie

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:49 AM

SAB-
On my 04 the OEM lights only come on when the bike is running. And you do not need to pull the clutch in as long as the bike is in neutral, but it is a safe practice just in case. Search the thread on here for staring woes/tips

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jimmym

Posted November 11, 2013 - 06:04 AM

You will certainly want to drain the remaining fuel and start with a fresh tank.  With any luck the stale fuel didn't gum up your carb, requiring an overhaul.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2013 - 06:41 AM

1) Is there anywhere i can find a parts list? (i'd like to service it and would like part numbers, e.g. spark plug, air filter, oil filter)

SERVICE MANUAL

2) Is there a special starting procedure? i only tried briefly and couldn't start it, there isn't much petrol in it and its been stood so guessing its stale. I bought the bike from the owners dad and only spoke to the owner on the phone, he put a new battery on it and had started it. (Do i need to pull in the clutch for example)

REMOVE ALL GAS

REMOVE FLOAT BOWL COVER AND INSPECT FOR WHITE OR GREEN CORROSION. IF YOU SEEN ANY, PULL THE CARB AND CLEAN IT

http://www.dirtrider...r_carb_rebuild/

EVEN IF YOU DON'T, REPLACE THE PILOT JET WITH A BRAND NEW ONE

YOU SHOULD RE-JET AND UN-CORK WHILE YOU ARE IN THERE.

3) Should the light come on as soon as i push the on / off button?

NO, NOT TILL THE MOTOR IS RUNNING. THE LIGHTS RUN OFF THE AC SIDE OF THE STATOR.

• SAB_Yam_WR

Posted November 11, 2013 - 08:32 AM

HI all. Thanks very much for the replies.

I see an overhaul coming on. I planned on giving it a good service over the winter, looks like its worth delving a bit deeper.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.