2011 yz450f how to get the best bottom end snap?

2 replies to this topic
  • ski-dooin it

Posted November 10, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Coming off a 03 onto a 2011 with 15 hours on it, good clean bike and runs darn good. What i miss is how violent my old bike was on the bottom, and wondering what i can do to get this the same way.

I know most of you guys think the yz is rowdy as is, but myself and ridnig group ARE NOT NORMAL TRACK RIDERS! We spend our summers bucking over logs and hillclimbing through the woods,  from 4-10k feet. ride the St anthony's dunes @ 5k feet. and then when the snow flies we strap tracks and skis on them for snowbiking. and for those who arent aware, snowbiking makes the dunes feel like cruising no load down a road, it is HARD on bikes. just glad its clean air.  Normal riding im semi pleased with the bottom end. dunes... weak sauce, and i know when i take it out on the snow in a few weeks, im gonna feel like im riding a 250 smoker.

I had the GYTR tuner hooked up and I had them touch up the fueling a little and max the timing out for pump gas. slightly better, but nothing to brag home about. After riding a buddies bone stock 13kx, i want that, if not more..

any ideas guys?

any mods that make them suck on the track due to too violent? lay it on me!

Edited by ski-dooin it, November 10, 2013 - 09:07 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JLB943

Posted November 11, 2013 - 10:15 AM

More compression(13.5 to 1)/ More displacement (Big Bore)(500cc)

Webb Cams makes high lift short duration cam for better throttle response.

Use sharp throttle tune in GYTR.

New clutch friction plates.

I had an 03 and now an 11. I honestly thought the stock tune on the 2011 (All 0's on the tuner) was slightly more abrupt than the 03.

The problem is the "snap" you are looking for is gonna be dependent upon traction.

• grayracer513

Posted November 11, 2013 - 01:55 PM

To some degree, timing will play a part in that, but I would bet that the cam timing on the FI bikes is going to along the lines of the '08-'09 models, which were biased toward more power at higher speeds, compared to the '06, or even '04 bikes that had their cam lobe centers set at a wider angle.  Look at the map index, might be something in there that would give you a place to start.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.