These forks!?! 2014 YZ450...

Yamaha YZ450F 2014

87 replies to this topic
  • swaldrop

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I have read quite a few different opinions on how to properly set this bike up but I am feeling a little lost at the moment.

If the track is perfect, everything works amazingly. As soon as it gets rough though, these forks feel very harsh in the initial stroke.

I weight 185 without gear and I have never bought Springs for a bike as I have always been about the perfect weight for the bikes I ride. I ride vet intermediate.

My current settings are as follows, though I have been moving all over the place the last couple weeks...

Forks:
Level with triple clamp
C: 12
R: 8
Stock Springs and oil

Shock:
Sag: 108
HSC: 2 out
LSC: 9
R: 6
Stock Springs and oil

Just trying to get some dialog going. I don't have any problem with the way the bike currently handles as I am coming off an '11 and love the bike. I just have to get the front end comfy or else I am going to kill myself out there.

Also, and I thought this was weird... When I land off big jumps or when going through the stroke quickly, the forks squeak, as if the oil or air is being pushed through too small an orifice. I have never heard the sound before so I am suspect.

Any help would be great. The bike feels so awesome in every other way and feels so light in the air. Just gotta get that front end feeling better.

• motoxjeff

Posted November 10, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Here is what Im running.  I'm 5'11/ 200LBS.  Vet-Intermediate.  I actually backed the forks down to 11 for a softer feel, and to keep the bike in the ruts a little bit better.

eguy.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• rotax800

Posted November 10, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Make sure you bleed off the air in the forks EVERYTIME you ride. This means in between every practice session, moto, or every so often when trail riding. Guys at factory connection told me this was fairly critical particularly on this bike. I put in $20 bleeders cause i did it so often. maybe this will help. 

• rickallen124

Posted November 10, 2013 - 05:04 PM

Here is what Im running.  I'm 5'11/ 200LBS.  Vet-Intermediate.  I actually backed the forks down to 11 for a softer feel, and to keep the bike in the ruts a little bit better.

eguy.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's after having your suspension re-valved by EVO?

• Refresh

Posted November 10, 2013 - 07:04 PM

factory connection just did mine and they said they "cut" the fork cartridge and moved the collar to accept the shorter(by aprox 30mm) 2013 spring because its lighter and went from .50 down to .48.  im 195lbs fast intermediate offroad rider.  They kept the stock shock spring.  I need another ride or two before passing judgement but my initial feelings is that the FC changes SUCK!

edit:  just want to add the other 2 bikes they did for me are perfect...

Edited by Refresh, November 10, 2013 - 07:05 PM.

• swaldrop

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:46 PM

I can't imagine I would ever need a revalve and find it hard to believe I would even need springs, though to my knowledge these forks have stiffer springs in them. To me it seems like an oil level issue. MXA says they reduced the oil by 20cc to make up for the stiffer springs. Maybe some knucklehead missed the memo at Kayaba when building my forks? I don't know...

Has anyone removed oil and found this to be a good solution? Am I the only one having these issues? 

Edited by swaldrop, November 10, 2013 - 10:47 PM.

• MXKyle

Posted November 11, 2013 - 10:23 AM

I am also 185 and ride vet expert in mostly soft sandy conditions.  Initially I was pretty disappointed with the front end but I was able to tune it to my liking after a lot of effort.  I felt that the bike wanted to turn but would push the front end when you didn't have a good berm.  I couldn't change lines in the middle of a turn without fear of the front end losing grip.  I'm currently running the compression at 5 softer 14 out and one slower on rebound at 7 out.  I also had to move the forks up in the triple clamp to the line scribed on the forks. 

This completely changed the bike.  I went from being disappointed to really happy with the way it handles.  I haven't yet bottomed the forks even though the tracks I have been on have some really big jumps but I may still try putting in a few cc's of oil.  The forks are not at all harsh with this setup. 

I rode it on hard pack before I arrived at these numbers and will say that it didn't feel nearly as bad there as it did in the sand.  The loose soil seemed to exaggerate the problems so I've been working it out on the local sand tracks.

KT

• swaldrop

Posted November 11, 2013 - 04:27 PM

Sand is all I ride as well so it's interesting you feel it's exaggerated there. I tried bringing the forks up like you said last weekend, but it felt to me like it got worse, like the small change made the angle of the forks steeper, preventing them from working as well. Maybe with the softer compression setting it would balance it out.

What about that squeak? That seems so strange to me.

The bike is definitely in my head now. I probably just need a few days at the track where no one shows up and it never gets rough to make me confident in it. I'll give that setting a try and see how it goes.

• motoxjeff

Posted November 11, 2013 - 04:32 PM

Sand is all I ride as well so it's interesting you feel it's exaggerated there. I tried bringing the forks up like you said last weekend, but it felt to me like it got worse, like the small change made the angle of the forks steeper, preventing them from working as well. Maybe with the softer compression setting it would balance it out.

The bike is definitely in my head now. I probably just need a few days at the track where no one shows up and it never gets rough to make me confident in it. I'll give that setting a try and see how it goes.

What bike did you come off of?

• swaldrop

Posted November 11, 2013 - 04:40 PM

My last bike was a 2011 yz450. I have been on Yamahas since '03 so I can appreciate the good things that the bike offers for sure. If I still had my '11 I would throw those forks on it to try and clear up some of the mystery. I loved those forks so much...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBrown626

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:24 PM

I am pretty happy with my setup, except today I rode a track that had a lot of braking bumps and it was harsh. 

So far I have gone to a stiffer shock spring

In two clicks on fork rebound to get the right feel through the corners and hold a tight line

Out two clicks on fork compression to soften things up. 

Out two clicks on shock rebound as I found it was jumping nose high. 

I had been riding mostly on the main track at a Pala and that is somewhat sandy. Today I wasn't feeling like all the big jumps, so I put in most of my laps on the vet track. There were a lot of braking and acceleration bumps. The bumps beat me up pretty good. 

On previous year bikes I drilled holes in the free piston and changed the ICS (?) spring. The short spring that is inside the free piston chamber. I have also installed the Dual Del Taco mod, but I don't know if that mod is helpful for the '14 or not. 

Pulling out a little oil seems like the easiest fix to try and soften them up. It is easy and cheap. 

Edited by BBrown626, November 11, 2013 - 05:26 PM.

• zeuszuki

Posted November 11, 2013 - 08:25 PM

How many hours have you got on the bike? I spent 7 hours on mine before they broke in, and that was with a heap of jumping and woops. Initially i dialed a few clicks out on the comp' to get them moving, now I have dialed it back in +1 to get them dialed ( euro spec ). With your stiffer springs i would pull some oil out of the outer cart' and see how things feel. Check your manual for stock volume and minimum volume - happy tuning :-)

• swaldrop

Posted November 11, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I only have 5 hours on the bike. It may be just a matter of time until it settles in, but it seems like it is taking longer than it should. I should probably just try and get in better shape and stop whining so much :/

• zeuszuki

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:54 PM

I only have 5 hours on the bike. It may be just a matter of time until it settles in, but it seems like it is taking longer than it should. I should probably just try and get in better shape and stop whining so much :/

Your US spec bikes run firmer springs than our Euro spec bikes, i am not really sure why. This appears to be impacting negatively on Intermediate riders in the US ( from the threads i have read). On the plus side -this chassis seems to like a firm set up . Perhaps your best bet is to try and soften things for the small stuff while maintaining a nice balanced set up. This is the route I would try first. Document your current settings so you have a base to go back to if required. My '11 settings did not work at all, I have chosen a different development path ;-)

• swaldrop

Posted November 11, 2013 - 10:08 PM

Are the bikes sprung differently as well? Does anyone know the stock rates of both bikes?

• zeuszuki

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Are the bikes sprung differently as well? Does anyone know the stock rates of both bikes?

Yes, different spring rates US to Euro spec. I posted the rates on here somewhere, check your manual. US bikes run a different ecu as well! Among other things. Can you post up the part # on your stock muffler please, I'm curious .

• MXKyle

Posted November 12, 2013 - 01:22 PM

I know how you feel.  I would do one moto and want to load the bike up and go home. 

I started out by moving the forks.  I hated it and moved them back to stock.  I had to do something so I started clicking.  I really thought the fork springs were just a shade too hard so I adjusted the compression to compensate and had to go one slower on the rebound because the stiffer springs were causing it to rebound too fast.  After I got the compression a lot softer and the bike stopped pushing I realized I needed to raise the forks again.  Now I'm really close to the bike I wanted when I signed the check.

I don't think mine squeak but I can't hear high pitched sounds anyway so mine don't bother me if they do. ;)

KT 

• Mutley53

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Does anyone know if the Euro bikes are valved the same as US bikes? I know the springs are softer and the clickers are set differently, but I'm not sure if the valving is the same.

I've got around 7 hours on mine. Haven't thought the suspension was harsh, but definitely stiff. I weigh 160 and am a vet b rider. I'm going to try softer springs (same as Euro spec).

• swaldrop

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Now I'm really close to the bike I wanted when I signed the check.

What are you at now, front and rear? How much do you weight?

Edit: Never mind. I went back and realized you already answered these :) 

We'll see how they work for me on Thursday!

Edited by swaldrop, November 12, 2013 - 07:31 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:36 AM

There are quite often subtle differences in the suspension valving between US and Euro versions.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.