Blew a fork seal on my 2012....argggg. Good brand?

30 replies to this topic
  • Ride-n-Hard

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:32 AM

I tried cleaning out the seal. It must be pretty much gone since it is still leaking. Out in the field I cut a plastic cup and made a hook with it. I got a lot of dirt out of it but still it leaked. So I ordered the SKF seals. I was told by MX-tech that they have multiple lips on them.

I now believe that this might be my fault. I use maxima sc-1 on my plastics and I'm sure it had got on the lower fork tubes that attracts and holds the dust / dirt. Next time I will clean off the tubes before riding.

Posted November 12, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Another thing, the seal savers are ok but you have to remove them and clean them and the forks after each wet ride or you can damage the forks hard chrome plating. They can actually do more harm than good.

Agreed to a point. I would not recommend getting the Velcro wrap around style as the dirt gets through where the Velcro attaches. They do need to be cleaned after wet/muddy rides but they can be flipped up, cleaned and flipped back down without taking them off. I have gone on several dry rides and never cleaned them at all. If you flip one up after a dry ride you can see where the dust stops traveling as its leaves a ring of dust about a half inch from the bottom. I haven't experienced the snot mud etc that the guys back east have so I don't know how well the seal savers work on that? I service the fluid in my forks approx. every 6 months and am always amazed at how clean the dust seal is considering I never really clean them. Anyways, just my experience and 2 cents.

• stevethe

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yup, two seasons. I have yet to clean my seal savers. No scratches = no leaks. I'm a happy camper. Sons bike also and many others in our group. I don't see any leaks.

• beezer

Posted November 13, 2013 - 02:11 PM

On the east coast there's a lot of mud which doesn't seem to hurt the fork seals.

I guess the fine silt in the desert gets underneath the seals and kills them to death.

Having never been any where near a desert I can't say for sure.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted November 13, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Having never been any where near a desert I can't say for sure.

Try it.. you might like it<G> Feel free to send some of your rain this way. It was really dusty last weekend.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted November 14, 2013 - 05:46 AM

...... It was really dusty last weekend.

and this week......and next week.......and the week after that.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted November 14, 2013 - 11:48 AM

and this week......and next week.......and the week after that.

There is a slight chance of rain soon... probably just enough to make the truck dirty.

• beezer

Posted November 14, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Try it.. you might like it<G> Feel free to send some of your rain this way. It was really dusty last weekend.

It's on my bucket list for sure.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted November 22, 2013 - 08:53 AM

So I pit in the skf kit from mx-tech
They sure seem like a well made seal. Multiple lips on them.

I also installed a set of seal savers. Jury's out on them.

• MConde85

Posted November 22, 2013 - 11:27 PM

Seal savers help too. It doesn't get to wet down here in AZ. I actually made my own seal savers from some beer cozies...cut the bottom out and slid it over the bottom of the forks and used a zip tie to hold it in place. 

Posted November 23, 2013 - 07:59 AM

I also installed a set of seal savers. Jury's out on them.

You'll like them, they save a lot of headaches. Just remember to flip them back an inch or so after each ride and clean them off per the directions. Then again my friend never cleans them and he hasn't had a seal leak in years so go figure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.